• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanned to know if i can OC more...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D3viLEyE

I wanted to know if i can overclock my GPU more then i did right now...
is it safe?
and how far i can go?

btw i got a very strong GPU Cooler: Accelero TWIN TURBO.

watch the temps and oc till you see instability. My 8800gt stopped at around 720 core, and i believe this is due to insufficient voltage.(when i would bench or run a game, my screen went all crazy) I like rivatuner since you can test settings with or without them starting up with windows so if its unstable you will load your last SAVED config when windows starts. I don't know a lot about increasing voltage on a gpu(or i would still be ocing my card), but you can pencil mod it(potentially dangerous). How is that cooler working for you with that card?

I cant see the pictures (its on my end Im sure).

But you only stop and then back down a smidge when you experience freezing or artifacts.

No need to worry about pushing clocks high. You won't damage anything. Once you start adding voltage is when you need to worry.

Keep an eye on temps, though...especially if you installed the Twin Turbo by yourself. If not installed correctly you can get some pretty bad temps.

There is no pencil mod for the 8800GT. You have to solder in a variable resistor on that card due to the starting resistance.

Edit: I see the 8800GT mentioned in the 2nd post, but not in the 1st...is that what you have D3viLEyE?

Yes i have 8800GT.
i didn't put it on. when i bought the cooler they already installed it on my GPU ^^.
i just wanna know how much more i can put. ^^

No need to worry about pushing clocks high. You won't damage anything. Once you start adding voltage is when you need to worry.

Keep an eye on temps, though...especially if you installed the Twin Turbo by yourself. If not installed correctly you can get some pretty bad temps.

There is no pencil mod for the 8800GT. You have to solder in a variable resistor on that card due to the starting resistance.

Edit: I see the 8800GT mentioned in the 2nd post, but not in the 1st...is that what you have D3viLEyE?

actually there MAY be a pencil mod for this card.....check here if you are interested in learning more....the resister is just tiny so you have to be very careful, led is conductive(the whole point of p-mod)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163929

otherwise you have to do a soldered or solderless(tape)mod

solderless:
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-c...o-solderless-8800gt-gts-volt.html#post3599951

soldered:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=247576

Probably nothing you wanna do either way, but thought i'd throw in my 1 cent

You can do a pencil mod on the video-memory, but not the core. Also, if you have Qimonda RAM, raising the RAM voltage will actually make things worse.

I'd recommend anyone to read a good bit of that 8800GT thread on XS before even thinking about modding their 8800.

I'm very weary of any volt-mod that is solderless or uses any kind of tape, but to each his own. There can be micro-arcing if the connection isn't good, and that's just gonna lead to instability.

I'm sure you're correct I just wanted to lay out the options. Honestly i would get it where you can stable and call it a day. Extreme modding of your card without the proper knowlege/experience could lead to results you may not enjoy...but of course the choice is yours. What idle/load temps are you getting back from the card at this point?

IDLE:34
LOAD:39-40
and my Accelero TWIN TURBO is only at 70 % speed
and the OC that is currently on is :715/1100/1775

those are VERY!!! nice temps, i got my 8800GT sli setup with stock cooling fans about 50% room temp about 40C

My GPU temps are 60C idle 68-70 Load
You should be fine up to 90C, thats what ive heard but i would feel uncomfortable over 80C

yea i know this cooler of mine is one of bests... ^^
listen guys.... now i OCed it to 715/1100/1775
but when i put my core clock to 720 and i run the 3DMark06 At the first test i get black screen and nothing happends?
is that cause of low voltage?
what could it be?

what u mean unlinked?
if i increased the core linked to the shader?
if u ask that then yes i did it linked.
btw do u guys think i can increase the memory clock even more then 1100?

Find your max clocks indivdually. Unlink the core from the shaders. Once you find the max clock on the core, back off a bit and then raise the shaders.

I dont know about the memory. Can you? Try! Every card is different!

For memory i tryed now to put on 1120 and it works fine and i even done a 3DMark Score:

but when i increased it to 1130 and clicked on the Nvidia Control Panel to test it now my Screen got Stuck... so i guess 1120 is max for memory ^^
now i'll do for the core... u say i can continue from 715 right and unlink it?

i did to 1600 and increased the core to 730 and i ran the 3DMark and at the FireFly Test It crashed i saw the fireflys like square orbs XD....
what to do now?
any advices?

Sounds like you are at the core limit. Back the core down to 700 and see what the shaders will do.

I would have furmark running as you are doing it instead of the nvidia control panel for testing. When you see artifacts in furmark, then you know you have pushed too much.

i did just now
core clock to 700
and the shader to 1800 and it crashed.

Back