• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8-pin psu connector necessary for quads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

Pretty basic question, really. I know my motherboard has the 8-pin slot, but my current psu only has a 4-pin cpu connector. I asked around when I built this current computer, and it was agreed that a dual core would be fine with only the 4-pin being used. As it goes, I'm thinking about upgrading to a quad, but I'm concerned that the lack of an 8-pin connector is going to cause issue. As it is, the upgrade path will consist of the quad, more RAM, and a copy of Vista x64. A power supply on top of all that will push the price range out of budget, so I'm a little concerned.

If I do need the full 8-pin, is there a molex -> 8-pin adapter that will do the job sufficiently?

you can get a adpater but if the mobo posts with out the 8pin then dont worry about it. past mobos have had PD's that pull more power then C2Q and have had no issues with just the 4pin connector.

The main issue is, assuming your going to use the Ip35-e board for the quad and if your ocing. is that the 4phase pwm on that board will be stressed really hard with a quad core oc'd. not only that but ocing will be limited more then if on a board with 8phase pwm.

I used a board that needed a 8pin, but my PSU at the time only had a 4,
I ran it, sold the whole thing and is, and it's still going strong today. So you should be fine.

Awesome, glad it won't be a mandatory upgrade. Thanks for commenting on the pwm, Evil- That's something that I hadn't thought about.

Back