• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4850 CF woes :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boorishid

So ive been trying to get my new rig set up everything was fine with single gpu then i added my second card and my comp went to hell. Anyways im keep getting blue screens trying to enter windows seems this is a common problem with catalys 8.12 so i tried the hotfix and it didnt work either. Doing some more reading alot of people are fine on catalyst 8.10 so i rebooted into safe mode ran driver sweep went back into regular mode uninstalled the ccc. Windows was just running a standard vga driver and i installed 8.10, as soon as i put the cf bridge back on blue screens again. WTF is up with ATI's drivers!!? Exactly what driver is stable with a 4850 cf set up?

Try uninstalling the drivers with just one gpu in, turn the pc off and then put the second card in before booting up then install them with both in (with CF bridge). If it blue screens before it installs then it probably isn't the drivers : \

Install the most stable drivers from ATi (do not know which as you say people having trouble with 8.12) and see if it works. Good luck.

I had problems with 8.12's as well. Here's how I got it to work.
1.Uninstall current CCC
2.Boot to safe mode, driver sweep and clear
3.Have both cards installed withOUT the bridge, and boot into windows.
4.Install 8.12 CCC
5.Reboot into safe mode.
6.Right click your My Computer icon, select manage. You should now be in the computer management screen, navigate to the services and applications, then to the services tab, find and disable ATI External Event Utility (it will probably be on auto)
7.Shut down, install bridge, and boot into windows.
8.You should be good to go with crossfire now!

Hope this helps.

ya i forgot to mention disabled the external service too. Anyways i just tried the second card out this morning and found out it was messed up theres white lines through the screen and stuff :( newegg rma here i come.

Sometimes i really miss brick and mortor i just want my setup all done today

whoa, much trouble. so it was a defective card all along?

i'm planning to get another 4850 in a few months. hope this doesn't happen :santa:

Well i think it was a combination, yes the card is defective it works but it has white lines during the bios start up and only shows windows in like 256 colors it would appear.

There are issues with the drivers and 4850 cards in crossfire right now though. You have to follow nzanebs steps, and you cant turn crossfire on and off on the fly without reboots after that. *sigh* i should have just gotten the 4850 x2 and then maybe got a second one later :)

Back