• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drives: State of the Union

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
I'm lookin to pick up a couple of 1TB hard drives and was wondering what the best non-raptor SATA solutions were?

Thanks.

I know they don't have 1TB raptors... Jeez! :p

I was just trying to fend off the "Why don't you just get a raptor?" crowd before they got here.

The Spinpoints look nice enough to me. What's so good about them?

EDIT: 8.55 shipping sorta kills the deal.

The 'best' all-around 1TB drive is the WD 1TB Caviar Black. Others are close in performance though and may have advantages in noise or power draw although power draw of HDs is pretty minimal.

The 'best' all-around 1TB drive is the WD 1TB Caviar Black. Others are close in performance though and may have advantages in noise or power draw although power draw of HDs is pretty minimal.

Well what's the quietest drive then?

There may be other sources to check but here's one with most of the current 1TB drives: http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/16130/11

Personally I found the Caviar Black to have noticable but not 'harsh' seeks if that makes sense, unlike the Seagate 1.5TB which was also audbile but a little sharper. They are audible but smooth somehow, a dB reading isn't going to show that. A lot of that has to do with how they're mounted in the case though and personal perception. Clearly ones that are the quietest are the WD10EADS (don't get the WD10EACS even though it's cheaper) and the Samsung Spinpoint F1. Unfortunately the latter has a fair number of reports of developing bad sectors but most of them may be fine. Tbh I with the WD10EADS was more widely available a month ago when I got my Caviar Black but the limited availability meant higher pricing, I got a good price on the Black though so :shrug: *Some drives are very good at certain things but not as good at others, some are more all-around balanced. I guess there's not really one 'best' drive so read up on some reviews...

Last edited:
Back