• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to do a volt mod but I don't have a multimeter...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slick306

I want to do a volt mod, I purchased everything I need, except a multimeter. The one thing I need to know is when I am loking at the variable resistor, which direction has MAX RESISTANCE? the one I have is exactly like the one in this picture.

Oh, and I also want to know what kind of voltages am I looking at if I accidenly leave it to least resistance?

Slick

Click here to see what the resistor looks like

I don't know but if I was going to try without a meter I would set it to the center position rather than guess what way is min.

Buy/borrow a meter!!!

I personally wouldn't risk gussing at the centre setting and seeing what happens. What voltage did you calculate that this would pump into CPU?

One way to check is to put the variable resistor in series with an LED (eg the ones on the front of ur case for example unplugged from mobo of course) and a 9v battery.
Turn the variable resistor and when the LED is dimmest then resistance is highest.

As far as accidently putting it onto lowest resistance by accident goes then ermmmm.....DON'T!

How the volt mod works is like this
The variable resistor is attached to ground and effectively bleeds off some voltage to ground so the voltage regulation circuit thinks that the CPU is receiving less volts than it actually is.
For example if the CPU is outputting that it receives 1.85V but 0.1V is bled to ground by the resistor then the regulation circuit will see (1.85-0.1) 1.75V and think it needs to pump out another 0.1V.
If the variable resistor is at minimum then the sensing pin will be held to ground and the regulation circuit will see 0V as CPU supply and pump everything it has into the CPU.
RESULTING IN CPU=INSTANT TOAST!

Test the thing with an LED or buy a meter to determine which way is maximum resistance DO NOT just try it.

Unless someone else out there has exactly the same resistor and can tell you.

You don't need a meter and I doubt you will fry your board. The HIP6301s voltage protection will kick in first.

Viewed from behind with pins down, use the left and center pins on the pot. Viewed from the front, turn the pot full counterclockwise for full resistance. This way you will turn the pot clockwise to increase the voltage and preserve the feel you are used to with you stereos volume control.

Well I couldn't figure out how to test the resistance, so I just put it a little to the left, and tried it. Well the left was for LEAST resistance, and the computer booted up at 2.05v. I am running 146*11.5 1680mhz right now at 1.95v, and it seems to be running a lot more stable than before... It is on the seconds prime test already :)

Thanks a lot guys!

Glad you got it working.
I was tired and didn't think to tell you could have spliced the setup into a fan wire and see what direction made the fan slower for max resistance.

good idea, but how do you know where to hook it all up becaue the resistor has pins

You would hook wires up to the pot like you were going to use it for your voltmod, then cut a case fan wire and hook the pot inline where you cut the fan wire and test it.

Back