• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Water Cooled Rig - Comments/Advice Sought (Update)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mataichi

This is a follow up to my original thread here.

Taking the advice that was given (thanks again) I have come up with a new parts list. The numbers correspond to the placement in the pic below.

1) Radiator - Swiftech MCR320-QP
2) CPU Block - Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme
3) GPU Block - to be determined (possibly Swiftech MCW60)
4) Pump - Swiftech MCP655
5) Reservoir - Swiftech MCRES Micro Revision 2

I plan on mounting the radiator by bolting it to the outside side of the case. The case has a motherboard tray and there is about an inch of space between the side of the case and this tray.
I figure I can use this space to bolt the radiator/shrouds/fan to the side. I would also plan on using some type of rubber spacer to give a bit of space between the case and the radiator.

What do you guys think about this setup? Is there any issue with the pump being at the bottom of the case and the radiator being at the outside top or is the pump strong enough were this is not an issue.
Also, do you think it would be worth the extra money to get a more expensive radiator (Feser X-Changer Triple 120mm Xtreme). Would I see any better performance to justify the cost? I wouldn't mind spending a bit more if it would be worth it.
Thanks for your time and insight!

WaterCoolLayout2.jpg

the pump at bottom of the case should be ok.i would get fezer 120.3. ive got 1 and its realy good.only need slow rev fans so its quiet.

1) Radiator - Swiftech MCR320-QP
2) CPU Block - Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme
3) GPU Block - to be determined (possibly Swiftech MCW60)
4) Pump - Swiftech MCP655
5) Reservoir - Swiftech MCRES Micro Revision 2
Given the pump has a maximum head of 10 ft (3.1 m), I wouldn't worry at all about locating the pump at the bottom of the case.

As for the MCRES Micro Rev2, I use the Rev1 and LOVE it! You can't go wrong with this res.

the pump at bottom of the case should be ok.i would get fezer 120.3. ive got 1 and its realy good.only need slow rev fans so its quiet.

Disagree. The MCR320 isn't far below the Feser in terms of performance and is more than twice as expensive. Also, the MCR320 is optimized for medium-low speed fans as well.

Don't run the loop in parallel, series would be way better.

the pump will be fine anywhere in the case with no problems with regards to handling what you have.

for your loop don't run parallel, the water will be the same temperature +/-1c from part to part. running it in parallel will give more flow to the least restrictive water block and cuase the other one to get hotter then if in series.

the Swiftech rad is plenty good and will work great. the only time the feser and thermochill rads are better is if you want low noise, otherwise IMO its not worth paying double. but they are better rads as far as performance, just not enough to justify the price.

That was another thing I meant to ask about. Glad you 2 pointed it out.
So I'll go with a series loop. Any difference if I go from CPU to GPU or vice versa?

Thanks for the good info.

generally loop order makes no real difference accept always have the res/tline before the pump so it won't run dry.

make the loop as small as possible and if you can get the res before the cpu and gpu but again its not going to make that big of a difference.

It's always a good idea to have the coldest water possible going directly to your CPU. This is why it's recommended to have your pump feed the radiator, then from the rad to the CPU. This will eliminate the heat dump from your pump. While we're not talking a big increase in water temp, every little bit counts and you don't save anything by routing it differently. The reservior should ALWAYS feed your pump.

Axis

Back