• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockability of W7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

renegade44

just like to know if anyone has checked to see if their system does a better overclock on W7 than Vista or XP.

I mean... LOL... this is the overclockers forum, right?;-)

Last edited:
just like to know if anyone has checked to see if their system does a better obverclock on W7 than Vista or XP.

I mean... LOL... this is the overclockers forum, right?;-)

But OCing is usually done via BIOS; different OSes should NOT make much difference, right? :) I'd better run before someone knowledgeable starts to hit me! :)

Not sure.
I had already maxed out the "easy" overclock of my Wolfie in Vista x64 and Win7 didn't seem to mind but I haven't spent any time seeing if Win7 wants to go further.

I installed W7 as a dual boot on top of an overclocked XP system.
At first.....It would recognize installed Rams & CPU but incorrect speed (3.95GHz actual)
But later on, when I refresh re-asset....it would shown unknown Rams & CPU

First installed
newynq.jpg

After re-asset
5lykpx.jpg

But OCing is usually done via BIOS; different OSes should NOT make much difference, right? :) I'd better run before someone knowledgeable starts to hit me! :)

But ultimately the final choices you make in the BIOS are based on how stable the overclock is in the BIOS, right?

For instance if I get 9x445 P95 Stable in Vista and 9x455 in W7 that would be a significant improvement

If the system is fully stable, it does not matter what OS you run on it.

OC'ing is OS independent.

Now OS stability will have a role indirectly. If you are getting crashes you might lower your overclock, and if it solves it you might feel better, but it could be to an unstable program or part of the OS.

Case and Point:
My overclock was perfectly fine, ran folding smp in windows. For some reason though in windows XP I'd get random reboots. Could be in 5 minutes or I could go a whole date fine. Don't use windows much so I thought it was fine. I finally lowered the oc slightly and reboots went away for a while. They came back after a while and turned out to be my beta video card driver. So in one sense I got a higher oc in linux that windows, but in reality it had nothing to do with my overclocker or with operating system but due to beta drivers.

Windows 7 being beta, it might be tough at times to distinguish stable overclock vs instable OS. (It's beta, so we all know there will be some bugs somewhere).

If the system is fully stable, it does not matter what OS you run on it.

ditto, performance may vary depending on how many resources are used up by the OS, but OC won't change from one OS to another

D

If you try a new OS, and it appears to affect your OC, then your OC wasn't actually stable with the original OS anyway.

I don't like running beta software on an OC'ed rig anyway. Then when something crashes, you have to guess why.

Back