• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 and punkbuster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bf2

Registered
Just too let you gamers know,if you plan on installing games like cod4 or bf2 on windows 7, punkbuster will kick you out of your online games. I was extremely disappointed about this and waisted a great amount time with install of os + games. So if you like playing those games online, don't install windows 7.:cry::cry:

I was just talking to a guy on msn who installed windows 7 and tried playing cod4 and was getting pb errors and the response from evenbalance was they will not support windows 7 until it is a full release which I can sorta understand because it is a beta and only meant to be played around with and not used as a primary OS

Just too let you gamers know,if you plan on installing games like cod4 or bf2 on windows 7, punkbuster will kick you out of your online games. I was extremely disappointed about this and waisted a great amount time with install of os + games. So if you like playing those games online, don't install windows 7.:cry::cry:

I posted about this the other day

I manually updated PB using their updater on the site, worked fine, some games kick me quickly others take awhile. So I just play on non-PB servers in Win7, don't really game in a beta OS, just testing new ATi drivers .... nice so far.

Microsoft states somewhere on the windows7 website that if you plan on gaming with windows 7, don't. Unless it is for testing purposes...

I wouldn't think punkbuster would update their software to accommodate beta operating systems :)

Theres not really much point in gaming on beta versions. when i installed vista beta, i couldnt do anything. My biggest mistake. i couldn't even go back to XP and had to get my hdd completely wiped :(

Personally I think they should allow game testing to be done on Windows 7, no kicking or blocking online features. For all we know, using Windows 7 + Punkbuster + COD4 could cause a glitch that gives player infinite HP, unlimited weapon, and Godlike power. If they didn't allow testing until live Windows 7, and simply enabled online play, they will suddenly have several epic battle between bugged players, and players not using Windows 7 canceling account in mass due to "massive cheating"

Hi Guys,

A little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

i've found a fix which for some people seems to be working (have had several people tell me it was successful).

it's a roundabout way to allow the services to lock/interact with the desktop and requires you to perform the fix each time you run CoD4 (sorry - no perm fix found yet).

as i said, several people have had success with it, although i'm now getting a different error, so it's worth trying it out.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/brianmadsen/archive/2009/01/15/windows-7-punkbuster-fix.aspx

Good luck - and please let me know if you have any related issues with the fix by either posting them here or comment on the blog entry.

cheers
Brian H. Madsen

Back