• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heating Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bros

Registered
Running an E8400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Here's my graphics card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130357

Ran Everest:
everahhhh.jpg

Ran HWMonitor:
hwmon.jpg

Computer started to experience massive FPS drop in games. Then it started to shut down whenever playing a game. Now it seems to shut down whenever I am doing anything intensive (like opening very very large files).

Is the GPU or CPU running too hot?

Interior pics of the CPU:
S4010142.jpg

S4010143.jpg

What do you think the problem is?

Last edited:
I assume neither of them are Overclocked.

Then, the only way it could be the cpu (unless there is some freak accident) is if somehow the cpu cooler got disconnected or the thermal grease is bad. Its always smart to buy an aftermarket HSF and Arctic silver anyway.

And that video card has a massive HSF (bigger than normal 8800gt) so if it is that there must be a fault. Can u not use a monitor to just see which one is running hotter than normal?

CPU should be idle around 30-40 c if that is stock intel hsf.

Graphics shouldnt be too hot.. usually hotter than cpu.. but if its idling more than 60 there is a problem i would think.

Welcome to the forums!!

I see you typed "Everest:", "HWMonitor:", and "Interior pics of the CPU:" like there should be pictures posted. I don't see the pics or a link to them. Posting them will help us determine whats going on.

Are either the cpu or the card overclocked? If so what speeds for both? What voltage? What temperature are they at?

From what you are saying...slowing down, drop in fps, crash when opening large files. It sounds like you have your cpu clocked too high. If its not overclock make sure you have the heatsink mounted properly to keep the temps down.

The CPU is not overclocked and the heatsink is mounted properly.

One second, I had the images hosted on a private forum.

Edit: There we go.

And it is a stock heatsink

Last edited:
well i have a feeling one of the push pins wasnt all the way in on one side. It maybe the fan wasnt plugged in? if it was the only thing i got left is bad airflow in the case....

well i have a feeling one of the push pins wasnt all the way in on one side. It maybe the fan wasnt plugged in? if it was the only thing i got left is bad airflow in the case....

All four pushpins are in.

There is no plug for the GPU fan. The CPU Fan is plugged in.

The case has 2 fully functional fans. One on the side, one on the top.

Also, I just ran rivatuner, and the GPU temp shot up to 70C. The CPU temp went to 60C.

Just set the GPU fan to 100% and it works at 100%.

Alhought the GPU only cooled down to 67C, then rose again.

disable cpu fan control in bios and see if the cpu fan rpms go up after a restart... i thought the intel max rpm was in the 1800-2000 range...

Running Everest Stress Test

Motherboard = 74C

CPU = 74C

GPU = 63C

CPU Fan = 1717 RPM

Right after I stopped the test, the CPU and motherboard began to cool down.

disable cpu fan control in bios and see if the cpu fan rpms go up after a restart... i thought the intel max rpm was in the 1800-2000 range...

Already did it before.

CPU fan RPM got up to 1750.

GPU is running at 73C while playing a simple game.

CPU is running at 72C while doing the same.

CPU at 55C while extracting a rar

Last edited:
oc=k, well get coretemp and lets take a look at what it is reporting... i know you said the cpu hs pins are fully in but the heatproblem still sounds like bad contact some how... what about the thin film on the hs was that removed?

Last edited:
The thin film on the heaksink that covered the Thermal Paste?

Yes, that was removed.

coretemp.jpg

There you go.

i have yet to be able to get all 4 push pins properly installed in a 775 system without removing the mobo. it usually bends the board a little to get them all attached which cant happen when it is screwed down in the case. i know you said they are in but did u check it with the mobo out so you could see the backside? the other possible culprit is using way too much thermal compound.

i would do what tachi said, remove the mobo and then check the pins. they are prolly not in all the way....

i have yet to be able to get all 4 push pins properly installed in a 775 system without removing the mobo. it usually bends the board a little to get them all attached which cant happen when it is screwed down in the case. i know you said they are in but did u check it with the mobo out so you could see the backside? the other possible culprit is using way too much thermal compound.

I assume the stock heatsink wouldn't put too much compound on.

All of the pins were firmly in the same amount.

So, you removed the HS. Did you clean off the old paste w/ alcohol and re-apply new paste before re-mounting?

You never want to re-use the paste as some serious air bubbles can get introduced. You will also do good to get some decent aftermarket paste. It's only $6 for a tube.

I like MX-2.

So, you removed the HS. Did you clean off the old paste w/ alcohol and re-apply new paste before re-mounting?

You never want to re-use the paste as some serious air bubbles can get introduced. You will also do good to get some decent aftermarket paste. It's only $6 for a tube.

I like MX-2.

Removed it, paste was pretty dry, a little greasy. Didn't apply any new paste.

Back