• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mirrors Edge gets 8.5 on ign

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow that's a lot higher than what the 360 version got. Maybe I should have waited for the pc version. I still haven't beaten the game because it gets frustrating sometimes.

iirc this game was written to take advantage of Nvidia's "PhysX" acceleration.

should still run on ATi though.

Something tells me it's barely an issue. From what I've seen of the game physx will barely play into it. There isn't a lot of explosive debris scattering around, it's a parkour game.

It'll probably use physx to the same extent that UT2004 might.

Something tells me it's barely an issue. From what I've seen of the game physx will barely play into it. There isn't a lot of explosive debris scattering around, it's a parkour game.

It'll probably use physx to the same extent that UT2004 might.

glass shattering is the thing all the physX demos seem to stress in Mirror's Edge. and some bullets hitting a tapestry.

glass shattering is the thing all the physX demos seem to stress in Mirror's Edge. and some bullets hitting a tapestry.

Yeah... i guess I could see that. *shrug*

The 360 didn't need it, and that uses outdated sparc cpu's. Something tells me that it won't make a meaningful difference in frames either way.

Question: will it actually work with nVidia cards? Has that been confirmed, or will this be another physX title that nVidia will talk about but put an asterisk on it describing the need for a dedicated card?

I might steal one of my dad's old 8600's and use it for dedicated PhysX. All of the videos and things I've seen look so much better with PhysX. It just seems that with all of the extra possible interaction with the environment, (like kicking a guard through a plastic sheet, and watching the sheet stretch before it tears... and realistic glass shattering, where the individual pieces actually fall and bounce on the ground and stay there...)

It seems a great deal more immersive to me.

Yeah... i guess I could see that. *shrug*

The 360 didn't need it, and that uses outdated sparc cpu's. Something tells me that it won't make a meaningful difference in frames either way.

Question: will it actually work with nVidia cards? Has that been confirmed, or will this be another physX title that nVidia will talk about but put an asterisk on it describing the need for a dedicated card?

Yeah? Well the 360 version got like a 5-7 in the reviews.

And yes. PhysX for NVIDIA in this game is confirmed.

EDIT: WOW... this sure as hell isn't the console version! I played the demos from 360 and PS3 and they were kinda "Meh..."

THIS on the other hand...

has anybody actually had a chance to play on PC yet? My copy is waiting for me to download at home :D

do you just like...jump around in this game? :santa:
it's what it seems like in the trailer i watched. can someone enlighten me on what the game's plot is about?

Rainless, by chance with AA enabled does it seem choppy to you?
I'm not rainless, but not on my 216.
Yeah? Well the 360 version got like a 5-7 in the reviews.

And yes. PhysX for NVIDIA in this game is confirmed.

EDIT: WOW... this sure as hell isn't the console version! I played the demos from 360 and PS3 and they were kinda "Meh..."

THIS on the other hand...

I'm liking this so far. I'm using it at 4xAA all settings maxed with physX enabled and while I don't have a frame counter enabled, with my core 216 oc'd to 675, I'm getting really good playability. I really like the game so far.

Same here at 4x, but this game is just so...hmm, edgy that 4x can actually be noticed, so I went to 8x and it seems I get a studder of low FPS every several seconds, only when panning view.

Same here at 4x, but this game is just so...hmm, edgy that 4x can actually be noticed, so I went to 8x and it seems I get a studder of low FPS every several seconds, only when panning view.

I noticed that too, this game is almost immune to AA. We might need to try supersampling and forcing 4xaa in the drivers. Wanna try that for me? I'm at work. :(

I can try that, however it will be from the ATi side of things ;)

Bah. I didn't realize that. :santa:

All in all though, it's not a very demanding game, not that I can see. It plays just fine on my core 216... this whole having a top level card is new to me. I've had 7600GT's since they were well... 7600GT's, midrange 7 series parts. And they didn't even really perform all that great back in the day either.

Back