• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woppy1

i dont understand why ppl say that it is not safe to run my q6600 past 70c which has a tj max of 100c at the min i am stressing my laptop at 100% and the temp is at 75c and the tj max is 85c it must be safe otherwise laptops would be breaking down left right and center and it would cost intel a small fortune to replace all the chips so if it is safe to run at chip at 10c below its max it must be safe to run a quad at say 20c below its max of 100c at the min it doesnt go above 60

You should be fine up to 80*C. I always say try to keep the distance to Tjmax greater than 20.

That being said, the higher the temps the lower the lifespan. You can redline your car everyday on the way to work. It'll run for a long time, but it probably won't last as long as the guy who is easier on it (assuming equivalent maintenance).

Those temps do seem a bit high for watercooling at 3.6GHz, though. I was right around 70*C w/ my Q6600 at 3.6GHz, but it was on air.

Back