• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Displays and resolutions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Ok only days away from setting up my HTPC/Gaming rig. I am going to be hooking up a 1080p LCD TV, and most likely a 19" 1440x900 LCD monitor. Can I set each display at its native resolution? Or do I have to manually switch it depending on which one I am using? I've never used two displays on the same computer, so excuse the noob question :D

If I can't set them differently, what monitor would you recommend that runs at 1080p? Would prefer something in the 20"-23" range around $200-250'ish.

EDIT: I will be using THIS motherboard. It has an HDMI port onboard, does that only work for Audio signals between the computer and TV, or does it also carry video too so I don't have to use a DVI/VGA cord to the TV?

If you are doing "dualview", they do *not* need to be the same.

The only time they need to be is if you want to span them or clone them.

Thanks Thideras :)

Anyone know the answer to my edit about HDMI?
HDMI mainly carries video, the question would be if it carries audio. My first guess is yes since it is integrated, but you might have to look it up.

HDMI mainly carries video, the question would be if it carries audio. My first guess is yes since it is integrated, but you might have to look it up.

HDMI carries both vid and audio. If you run a HDMI from say Blu-Ray player to TV you do not need audio cables.

HDMI carries both vid and audio. If you run a HDMI from say Blu-Ray player to TV you do not need audio cables.
I know, I'm saying that I don't know if the integrated audio ties into it...

Back