• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 285's on NewEgg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfather1138

285's have been listed on the Egg. I just finished placing my order for one. Figure I'll wait for the price to drop and games to get better before I worry about SLI.

just ordered mine ;D
I am going for the SLI though :D

its a few $$ cheaper than I expected. $380-$390

I'm going to go ahead and be a jerk and say it's probably not worth it. I know my 55nm core 216, while a good deal for me (263$ when I bought i t, and I got the superclocked version at that, instead of the 575mhz version, but it only hits ssc speeds stabily) didn't clock worth a crap, and I don't foresee 55nm cards doing much better. the 280's are still a better buy and they clock about as well as I've seen so far.

well, their not THAT much more, and I don't mind paying a little bit more for the performance and power usage difference, which will save me money in the long run.

well, their not THAT much more, and I don't mind paying a little bit more for the performance and power usage difference, which will save me money in the long run.

Not true.

I thought the same thing going into it, but I'm reading more and more about the 55nm units using more power and creating more heat.

I♥GFX;5943708 said:
80-100 bucks more is not that much more?

The trend here is they use more power, create more heat (because nvidia gimped the coolers on the 216's at least), and don't clock any better.

what im going to do is replace my 9800gtx+ with a evga gtx 285, and put my 9800gtx+ in the second PCI-E slot and use that as a PhysX card. Ill be getting good performance for the money that way, plenty to hold me over to whatever Q4 brings us.

what im going to do is replace my 9800gtx+ with a evga gtx 285, and put my 9800gtx+ in the second PCI-E slot and use that as a PhysX card. Ill be getting good performance for the money that way, plenty to hold me over to whatever Q4 brings us.

I'd sell your 9800GTX+, if anything it would hinder you. the 285 has enough power to handle graphics and physics duty. Playing the only game currently that supports nVidia physx I have no problems running it at max settings on a 2.5ghz amd64

Aren't they just a refresh on the 280's? They look like the get a highter mem clock of 200 mhz and like 40 or 50 mhz higher on the core. For an extra $100 you can get a second core! I'll stick with the 295.

Aren't they just a refresh on the 280's? They look like the get a highter mem clock of 200 mhz and like 40 or 50 mhz higher on the core. For an extra $100 you can get a second core! I'll stick with the 295.
It's not really all that great of a deal considering you can get the older gen for 320$ or so, the 55nm core 216's weren't better either way but it was a toss up sincei t was only 10$ difference.

These 285's really disapointed me. If it was 10$ more than a 280 I'd of been like, woot, but 70$ more for a frequency bump, no thanks.

The trend here is they use more power, create more heat (because nvidia gimped the coolers on the 216's at least), and don't clock any better.

What type of cooler is used has no bearing on how much heat the chip is making, just how fast it is transferred away from the core.

According to Anandtech, who used a SSC version of the 285 clocked down to stock GTX 285 speeds for testing, the card uses 10 watts less at idle than a GTX 280, and 5 watts more at load. This while still being 46mhz higher on core clock than a GTX 280. No mention is made if the SSC card comes with a higher than stock core voltage either, so it's not known if those numbers are slightly higher than they would be on a vanilla card. Considering the ~7.5% clock increase, I'd say those power numbers are very nice.

Last edited:
Looks to me for price/performance the 295 was the better decision :D

Except the fack that to use that performance you have to be running SLI. I've got a 9800GX2 right now, and it was great for me right up until I started playing GTA IV (no comments about it being broken, we all know that). GTA does not support SLI yet so my performance is terrible in that game, and i was really frustrating me. So from the SINGLE card standpoint (with plans to SLI them when prices drop) I think I made a great decision. You are correct about the Gx2 being overall the better card right now, but I expect you will tire of it as quickly as I have tired of my Gx2.

Except the fack that to use that performance you have to be running SLI. I've got a 9800GX2 right now, and it was great for me right up until I started playing GTA IV (no comments about it being broken, we all know that). GTA does not support SLI yet so my performance is terrible in that game, and i was really frustrating me. So from the SINGLE card standpoint (with plans to SLI them when prices drop) I think I made a great decision. You are correct about the Gx2 being overall the better card right now, but I expect you will tire of it as quickly as I have tired of my Gx2.

I got tired of it too, but simply because I started playing WoW and it has very shoddy dual-GPU support. Come to think of it, didn't I sell you that card? :beer:

its funny reading about people talk about the price difference of the 280 vs 285. the cheapest 280 is 339 or 329. the GTX285(cheapest) is only $379, really not that big of a difference but imo worth it for the power reduction at idle.

I got tired of it too, but simply because I started playing WoW and it has very shoddy dual-GPU support. Come to think of it, didn't I sell you that card? :beer:

Yes you did, and if you remember right I told you I was going to use it until the "280b" comes out. :beer: You had me questioning the purchase when you started telling about why you upgraded lol (PS. I think I still owe you a few bucks for adding the signature. can't remember if I ever sent that).

It seems to be doing well in any game so far, overclocks great too. So if there is a game which doesn't like sli, I won't be the end of the world as it performs near enough to a single GTX285. (Since it is overclocked to 700Mhz Core also :p )

Back