• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick newb question on i7 ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s002wjh

is it possible to run tri-channel ocz ram and a dual channel crucial ddr3 on the same x58 board? both 1600.

The only important things to consider are the voltage, timings and the speed.

Since you're trying to run 5 sticks in a tri-channel board, you'll only get single channel speed. If you have a tri-channel kit from OCZ, I assume its 1.65v and either 7-7-7 or 8-8-8. As for the crucial, since you say it's dual channel, I'd say it's probably rated at 1.9v @ 7-7-7.

Given you had to ask this question, I wont recommend you run them together. If you try and run the Crucial sticks as rated, you'll probably fry your CPU...

The easiest way to get them to work together would be to run them "stock" @ 1066 (1600 is overclocking, no mater what the the package says). However, you're cutting your performance by about a third.

I'd say stick with just the tri channel kit. If you want more, buy a second matching kit. However, I had trouble running 6 sticks of OCZ ram at 1600.

If your dual channel kit is rated at 1.65 and has the same timings as the OCZ ram, you might want to try just getting a matching 6th stick and run in tri channel mode.

I could give you a better recommendation if you list the part numbers of your kits.

Back