• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

remote access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

biosboy4

Here's the deal, I have a windows machine in my studio running Cakewalk, Audition, Soundbooth, etc.... but I find it a pain to start the recording, then run really fast, pick up my instrument(s), play, and then run back to stop the recording.

So I have this eeepc which unfortunately has a broken SSD. Since I couldn't figure out how to install xp onto a thumb drive to bypass the SSD I decided to put linux on it and everything works fine... until I had this idea.

I want to remotely access my windows machine from the eeepc which has Linux. That way, I won't have to do all that running around. Oh yeah and there is one more wrench to throw... I don't have internet at my studio... only a LAN network.

I'm sure this will involve Samba in someway... possibly Wine if you guys know of some remote access software that will work in it...

Thanks in advance!... (even if we don't figure anything out)

You could set the XP machine up to allow remote acces , and then use an 'rdesktop' client on the eeepc so you could control the remote computer . but rdesktop has a few glitches you cannot acces the XP machine while you are logged in the studio . this means starting the recording from the soundbooth.

RDP is only available Only available in XP pro i think (Vista ultimate/Business and any server OS as well)

RealVNC and UltraVNC are the easiest remote softwares to use after rdp. But I have not used anything but rdp for the last few years so if anything newer or better is out I would not know.

huh?

I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean exactly. Why would it work with my studio apps not running but not when they are? or am I just retarded and misunderstood what you were saying?

you cannot be logged in(local so in the studio) on the machine you are trying to use via rdesktop( you can use all the apps you want from the remote connection) <- thats just the glitch in RDP

the VNC options are the best choices.

You need to run a hacked termsrv.dll file to run concurrent connections in Windwos. In XP you simply need to type "shadow console" to control the logged in user.

RDP by default is run as a remote user so you cant control the active desktop with out a little tweaking.

shadow console does not work in Vista

hmm... is there any way you could give steps as to what to do?... I've never fooled with this kind of thing before (not much of a windows guy) sorry... I'm just a tad confused.

hmm... is there any way you could give steps as to what to do?... I've never fooled with this kind of thing before (not much of a windows guy) sorry... I'm just a tad confused.

using vnc, because It's all I use, and I prefer open source software:

On your studio windows box, download ultravnc, http://www.uvnc.com/download/ . The setup is pretty easy, make sure you also install the video hook, I'm not sure what it does (never looked into it) but you need it for smoother/better video. Here is step by step instruction though, http://www.uvnc.com/install/installation.html
For configuration instructions, http://www.uvnc.com/install/configuration.html . It's all pretty easy.

Now on your eeePC, simply run vncviewer ipaddress-of-windows-box . It's that simple.

If vncviewer isn't installed on your linux install, I can't give you exact steps as I don't know the distro but using the package manager look to install one of the following, xvnc4viewer, vino or vncviewer. Also there is things such as gvncviewer, gtkvncviewer, python-gtk-vnc or krdc are GUI front ends so you don't have to run vncviewer from the terminal.

Back