• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP won't shut down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Ok the first rig in my sig is giving me shutdown problems. It started doing it 2 days ago, and I have not added any new hardware or software in weeks. Basically what it's doing is when you click start> turn off computer > shutdown it gets stuck on the part where it says "Windows is shutting down your computer".

All the drivers on my computer are up to date, no viruses, and nothing major as far as spyware found. I am just dumbfounded on what could be causing this all the sudden.

Dunno if I gave you guys enough info, but if you need anything else LMK :)

Could be lots of things...bad power supply, bad caps, software, drivers, hard drive, a cable going bad. Reset cmos and redo all your settings. Try running stock if you're overclocked.

Just for giggles, try Kaspersky free trial.

It has found more than anything else I have tried.

Just to "Be Sure."

I remember having this problem when I first ran XP. I started having it again last week and sure enough, the 'ghost in the machine' had turned these services back on. Turned them off again and all is right with the world.

Try this to make sure it didn't happen to you:

Start, Run, services.msc

If you don't need most of the functions to allow multiple users their own settings on a network terminal, go to Terminal Services and disable them. Cut my shutdown from >2 minutes to about 4 seconds. It'll take a reboot (one more slow shutdown) for the changes to take effect.

thanks guys, going to try a different virus scanner. Been using AVG and has served me well for years, but who knows :)

Well it seems that it was a spyware issue. Used a different spyware program, and now shutdowns are back to normal. Thanks everyone!

Back