• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD Install questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If ur going to get a ssd, get the best there is at the price point.
Crucials isnt the fastets drives out there.

Normally, depending on OS, you might need to align the drive, adjust and tweak the OS settings since most 1 generation sdd, will tend to stutter when it does random writes.

I advice you to read up on ssd, and brand before you purschase since they are not all the same.
160read and 100write are the criteria for 1gen ssd.
2gen its like 200+ read and 160 writes.
(sequential writes tho)

ocz and gskill have some good ssd, im using a ocz solid drive. ocz has the new vertex out which solves some issues. what you need to do to the ssd will depend on the OS your installing. if you go with xp then you need to align the partition this will improve performance. with vista you dont need to align the partition it does it automaticlly. after that you need to tweak the os a bit in both xp and vista. as there are things the os is doing by nature since it was designed to work with the failures of mechincal drives.

thx Im glad I waited before purchasing

Is there a guide somewhere on how to align and the os tweeks needed?

ps Evil how large is your drive and how much of a pain was it to get it dialed in?
and is it worth it? I just wanted one for OS drive and im on xp still aswell

i picked up the 30 Solid drive for $64 at ZZF, might be more now... it wasnt that hard since i already had xp running on the old 80gig drive. i used diskpar to setup the partition first, then loaded xp, told it to just quick format the drive. after that appling the XP tweaks from OCZ took about 5mins and restart.

If you let Vista create the partition during install, then you don't need to align since it will be aligned properly. XP doesn't align properly and you will need diskpar for this.

The OCZ support forum has info on partition alignment.

ok thx alot

of coarse the money i had saved for a drive has to go to my water pump on my caprice

seems like every time you get designs on something other things pop up, Ill be saving tho cuz I realy want the os on ssd. thx for your help

mmmm after reading some more, I have just another question

If running xp and say get 1x30gig vertex then apply tweeks to the os how will that effect the other HDD's in the system you know what Im saying, If you tweek windows reg and disable some tasks that would normaly run on the os drive wont that effect the other HDD (non ssd) drives?

or do u have to go ALL ssd?

I wanted to mix them LOL 1 ssd for OS and keep my raid array and other storage drives on the system

well it would affect other drives since are disabling things that help speed up mechincal drives to the os. i cant really say i have noticed a differece on my system since most of my games are stored on the 320gig perp drive. things seem to load just as fast from the 320 as before, so maybe not much depending on what your doing. if the HD is on a raid card i dont think it will be affected then... well i posted a article about a 1TB 2.5in SSD, they say in a 3.5in FF it would be a 4TB SSD. :eek:

ok Evil so you have a configuration like I am wanting to do?

the raid is on the ip35pro on board chip set not a raid card, will those tweaks adversely effect my raid setup? 2x150gig raptors basicaly I dont want to get an ssd if its going to bog down the rest of the system all my hd's are either raptors, in raid or sata 150
3 raptors 2 in raid, 1 is the os the raid is where the gaming & programs are.
2 sata150 storage drives

I have 1 open sata port which is where I was going to plug the ssd into and use for the OS... that was my idea until I learned that tweaking xps os/reg was necessary.

maybe its time for vista or just hold off for win7?

hurumph

well honastly to make sure that your raid isnt touched at all. i would get a cheap sata card to plug in to use the SSD for. yes,tweaking the os would effect other drives performance since they get the gain from prefect,etc.. even with vista you have to make the same tweaks to prefetch to not over peg the SSD from constant requests. Win7 is suppose to be SSD aware but since i hear it is stripped/cleaned up vista. then when it does ssd tweaking it would also effect the other drives. unless they found a way to do prefecting to certian drivers vs it doing it to all drivers.

i bought an OCZ a few weeks ago and it is great. nothing special at all other than the odd size

i stuck an old 40mb 3.5" drive in my case and velcroed the 2.5" OCZ to the top of it

dang man thats a real bummer LOL

Im going to have to wait until I can replace all my drives with ssd and thats going to take alot of saving....

ssd the dream :D

It looks like the only tweaks that would effect your other hard drives is prefetch and indexing. If you have your programs on the SSD then disabling prefetch shouldn't be an issue at all. Disabling indexing shouldn't either, doesn't that just mean it would take longer to do searches on the regular drives?

From my experience there is no way to remove stutter with software tweak for the low end SSD. From what I know the stutter is cause by not enough cache. Getting a RAID controller with on board cache will solve the problem.

From my experience there is no way to remove stutter with software tweak for the low end SSD. From what I know the stutter is cause by not enough cache. Getting a RAID controller with on board cache will solve the problem.

Actually, Windows SteadyState is a confirmed fix for the stutter on the OCZ Core and Solid series SSDs. I'm using it right now with a Core V1 60gb. I would bet that it works for every stutter suffering SSD too.

Of course, the downside is long boot times, the large amount of hard drive space required and that a 32-bit OS is necessary. You can read more here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47183

Back