• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking E2200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aersch

Registered
Hi.
I happen to have a E2200-processor that I want to overclock.
I've read that it keeps cool and is pretty easy to overclock. Is there any advice specifically for OC'ing the E2200?
Thanks.

Last edited:
That's a solid PSU so you won't have any problems with that component. However it helps if we know the rest of the system. What motherboard and RAM do you have? Are you using the stock cooling or aftermarket cooling?

Good to hear. I also only use one hard-drive, dvd-reader and so on.

I'm using stock cooling. I would prefer not to have to buy new cooling or components, because my aim with the overclocking is getting more out of the computer without spending more money on it. But maybe I will have to?

Well overclocking should be easy for you, you'll mainly be limited by cooling. The CPU you have is a 200MHz frontside bus ('quad pumped' = 800MHz) with an 11x multiplier. The motherboard is designed to natively support up to 333MHz FSB CPUs and your RAM is rated for up to 400MHz FSB. I'm pretty sure you'll run in to cooling limitations lower than this but with your components you'll be able to get up to 11x333=3663MHz without running the mobo or RAM over spec.

Otherwise there's nothing special about your CPU in particular since that's what you asked, general overclocking guidelines for 65nm Core 2 Duos apply. Adjust the FSB and make sure your RAM isn't running at too high a speed and trial and error from there.

Well overclocking should be easy for you, you'll mainly be limited by cooling. The CPU you have is a 200MHz frontside bus ('quad pumped' = 800MHz) with an 11x multiplier. The motherboard is designed to natively support up to 333MHz FSB CPUs and your RAM is rated for up to 400MHz FSB. I'm pretty sure you'll run in to cooling limitations lower than this but with your components you'll be able to get up to 11x333=3663MHz without running the mobo or RAM over spec.

Otherwise there's nothing special about your CPU in particular since that's what you asked, general overclocking guidelines for 65nm Core 2 Duos apply. Adjust the FSB and make sure your RAM isn't running at too high a speed and trial and error from there.

Thanks for that information, was afraid my motherboard was crap for OC'ing. ;-)

Maybe it's not in the right forum, but since it's close to the subject:
In BIOS, I can choose the RAM frequency to automatically adjust to the CPU frequency. I can choose different ratios. The default ratio makes the RAM frequency rise to almost 900 Mhz @ 220 FSB. I don't think the RAM supports 900 Mhz, or have I missed something?

Well, no offense, but it's not a great oc'ing board ;) however you've gotten the right type of CPU in a 200FSB one to get what you can.

I assume you've read various oc'ing information or maybe the stickies here on our forums. I'm sure what your board does is default to an 'up divider' RAM ratio with stock settings because 200FSB would only require DDR2-400 RAM (there's no such thing) whereas you've got DDR2-800 = PC2-6400. I bet it's showing DDR2-880 which is a 1:2 up divider with a 220FSB.

It's a bit confusing with all the ratios and numbers but here's how it works: take the FSB (220) and then apply the multipler (1:2) = 440MHz. This is the real speed the RAM is running and CPU-Z, a program which gives various system speeds, would show that number. The 'DDR2' rating is always that number doubled regardless of the FSB:RAM ratio so you end up with DDR2-880. Your RAM is probably capable of that but it is being overclocked above its normal DDR2-800. You'll want to choose a divider that is lower to keep the RAM from limiting your OC.

Yes, I've read a bit about this. Not every page on every tutorial, but just so that I get an idea.
Maybe I will go for a synchronized divider. I understand that it decreases power usage and heat.

Last edited:
Hi again.

I've decided that I want to go for 333 FSB, since I really want more performance without having to buy a new processor. Also, it will be fun and interesting (as long as I don't get some hardware failure).

Any tips and recommendations regarding cooling for this system? Will my PSU make it?

I've already overclocked it to 220 FSB, but it hits 50 degrees celsius at normal desktop load. So I take it some nice cooling will work nicely here?

Okay... I understand though it's possible to get it even above 3,0 Ghz.
What cooling should I buy in that case?

Last edited:
AC Freezer 7 seems to be a popular budget choice.

I have a OCZ Vanquisher (very similar to AC Freezer 7) on a E6300 (also a 65nm). On the stock cooler I can get to ~3ghz @ ~65C full load. With that $20 cooler, I can get to ~3.35ghz with about the same temperature. I'm guessing it will be similar to your case, assuming your motherboard won't limit you before you are heat-bound. Whether that extra 0.35ghz or so is worth $20-$30 is up to you.

Apparently my motherboard won't limit me according to MadMan.

It doesn't state that OCZ Vanquisher supports Dual-Core, just Core2Duo. Otherwise it seems like a good cooler.

Last edited:
Back