• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I, or should I not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aztroth

well, Im going to be going into the military shortly here, and I was thinking about selling by current rig. then when I get some time I would just build a new, more up to date one (whatever is up to date at that point in time.). But my question is should I? Im not really hurting for the money that badly.

I mean, it would be nice to know what I could get for it (parted out, or as a whole), but again, I dont really NEED the money, I would probably just get some ps3 games or something with it.

Would it be more beneficial for me to sell off now, and rebuild at a later date, or just upgrade later, and hold onto this until then? (I'll probably end up giving this to my parents, as their pc's are particularly antiquated.)

Yes you should.

...so you can sell me another 4850. :p

Tough call. Unless your parents are a whole lot more technically inclined than mine then that wouldn't necessarily be a great choice for them neway.

How long ya goin' in for? When's first leave when you'll want a fast rig again?

I'm looking to start basic sometime in March. There is not set date yet, as I am going into the NAVY, into their NUC field (if their is anyone here in the navy, or the military period, feel free to elaborate for them :p ) and as it is highly selective, and specialized, the school overlaps less often.

All in all I'm looking at 21 months of NUC training, 2 months of which are for basic, then Im looking at a MINIMUM of another 2 years at Annapolis Naval Academy for my officer's training and commission, followed by a mandatory 6 year minimum re-signing contract. However, as Im thinking about this right now, I will probably need a computer for my school work anyways.

So, with that in mind, I pose a new aspect to the previous question.
"Should I sell off, go into basic, and then, using the pay from while in basic, and from selling my current rig off, just build new, on site in Charleston, SC?"

I would in your situation. Doesn't sound like you're going to have much time to play anytime soon. Tax time is coming up too and bargain shoppers should have some $$$ in their pockets.

the more I think about it, the more I think that I should... and at that point, I should be able to go i7 too :p maybe no 960, but maybe a 940, or atleast a 920 setup :D

so what do you think I could get for the rig as a whole?

~$750 maybe? more? less? I could include my copy of Vista Ultimate x64 as well if purchased as a whole for like another $100 or something (it's the retail upgrade version)... yeah, I think that price sounds reasonable. Especially considering what its gonna cost to ship @.@

EDIT: it may also be worth noting that the only problem with this rig is that the cooling on it is inadequate atm. You could pick up an Antec 300, a new CPU cooler, and a pair of AC Accelero S1 Rev2's for the 4850's and be golden :p . Thats really the only thing I feel should be upgraded on it (if I keep it). otherwise, it is currently a top of the line "budget" build :p .

Last edited:
Sell it and get a laptop. You are most likely going to need a PC of some sort while in school. Being military you are likely to be moving and you accommodations are probably not going to be the most spacious in the world.

As far as your current rig, you will probably get more by parting it. Selling a system whole is always much more difficult as most people know what they want and that usually isn't what you have.

Plus they already have some parts and don't want to buy the whole thing, just to part out what they already had.

In your situation, I would definitely sell it now, get a decent laptop when you finish basic and hold on to that laptop until you enter active duty. When you get to your first duty station, build a really nice one there. Having gone through something similar, that's what I would recommend, particularly at Annapolis, cleaning a tower for inspection would have to suck hardcore. Plus a laptop is much easier to pack ( something you'll be doing a lot of ).
-Drew

ok, so Im generally getting a "Sell" message across the board, is that correct? the laptop makes sense, but since Im going to be at the same school for 18+months, then going to Annapolis for another 2+ years, I dont really see myself as moving around all THAT much. but a nice laptop would be nice... I've never built a laptop before. how would one go about picking out a "case" for a laptop!?

I'd price it out like this:

2x Visiontek Radeon HD4850 in crossfire - $200
E8400 Core 2 Duo @3.0ghz - $125
Some cheapy from CompUSA - $25
Asus p5q Deluxe - $100
G-Skill DDR2 1000 4gb (2x2gb) - $50
WD 500gb + 2xSeagate 500gb in RAID0 - $150
Antec 500 watt Earthwatts PSU - $25
Windows Vista - $75

Total - $750

I think you could part it out for about that or sell all together for around $800.

I'd price it out like this:

2x Visiontek Radeon HD4850 in crossfire - $200
E8400 Core 2 Duo @3.0ghz - $125
Some cheapy from CompUSA - $25
Asus p5q Deluxe - $100
G-Skill DDR2 1000 4gb (2x2gb) - $50
WD 500gb + 2xSeagate 500gb in RAID0 - $150
Antec 500 watt Earthwatts PSU - $25
Windows Vista - $75

Total - $750

I think you could part it out for about that or sell all together for around $800.
yeah, cuz you didn't include the 2 dvd drives, or the case itself.

If you don't need the cash, I'd keep it, you have a relatively powerful system. Selling off the parts, you will be selling at a loss to what you put into it. You should be able to get a good couple of years out the described system, with maybe upgrading the cpu to a quad core and keeping all the other components the same.

Sound in theory, but if he's anything like the rest of us tech junkies he'll sell off one piece at a time & upgrade it over the next couple years and will likely find it more difficult to sell the parts and at a lower price. He has a window right here where he won't need the PC for a time and can avoid the inevitable devaluation of the components. Then when there's time to play he can do so with a brand new toybox.

+1 To sell it all and get a laptop.

Your going to need the portability of a laptop for the next couple years. The longer you wait to sell your old system the less the parts will be worth.

Are you going to be using your PC while in the military? If you are going to be moving your laptop around but can't do a desktop it sounds like a great idea. If you plan on not using it for about a year or so then I'd part it out or sell it all together. You've got some pretty good parts that will be easy to sell for the prices I put up. I think most things I put about 2/3 of the new retail price which I think is reasonable.

ok, well, Im gonna hang onto this stuff for a little while, since my official shipout date for basic is now October 8th.

Back