• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Porting nVidia's Physix onto a 4850/70???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aztroth

do you think it's possible? I mean, could you imagine the shear hardware power of an ati card with the software power of an nVidia card? is it just me, or would that make a 4870x2 godly (more so than it is now)? also, by doing this, would you have to use the cards in an SLi setup, instead of being able to use it in any dual PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots in Xfire mode?

I mean, it's just an idea that would be pretty f-in sweet if someone could figure out how to pull it off.

it's been done on the 3xxx series cards. works perfectly fine, apparently, though not been released yet.

So what about un-official drivers?

Yes for the 3 series it was done but don't expect it for the 4 series anytime soon since the guy that did it suppositly was hired by nVidia. Don't quote me on that but thought that is what happened.

The guy was hired by nVidia and nVidia threw out some crap about plans for making PhysX work on non-nVidia hardware. With nVidia's history, we all know how likely that is...

The guy was hired by nVidia and nVidia threw out some crap about plans for making PhysX work on non-nVidia hardware. With nVidia's history, we all know how likely that is...

mxm, anyone? all those promises of user replaceable laptop graphics

MXM helped nVidia (sell more graphics cards). MXM is "open" because you can't really make a proprietary graphics slot for laptops and then expect to sell them in great quantity. It also allows people to switch graphics card vendors, and nVidia may think that more than 50% of switches will be replacing an ATI card with an nVidia card. Allowing ATI to use PhysX doesn't help nVidia much, it just cuts into their market share.

Nvidia should have released CUDA for ATI cards, they can't rely on their own marketshare to push an industry wide standard through. Current CPUs are also no where near powerful enough, when I had an 8800GT running the PhysX version of UT3 and it choked, performance was essentially halved or worse.

When we're steadily seeing 1680x1050 becoming a standard resolution in conjunction with Nvidia suddenly wanting to run physics on the GPU along with graphics, the performance for the average consumer is going to nosedive. It will be fine for us gamers buying the latest and greatest, but it won't penetrate the mass market and because of that it will remain a gimmick.

ATI doesn't want nVidia's CUDA from what I understood. Besides if nVidia did release it, there is no way in hell they'd let an ATI card be more powerful than there's for the task at hand.

ATI doesn't want nVidia's CUDA from what I understood. Besides if nVidia did release it, there is no way in hell they'd let an ATI card be more powerful than there's for the task at hand.

Well that's good news. Especially when Core i7 is no slouch when it comes to physics calculations.

Back