• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap(er) wireless for your 360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

Ever once in a while a thread pops up complaining about the 360's expensive WiFi dongle. I immediately explain about my Buffalo bridge or as it is more commonly being called wireless gaming adapter. Gizmodo has given us a pretty comprehensive guide for those who don't know what a bridge is or how to use it. It's much more comprehensive than what I ever write on here. If a mod would like to sticky it, I may even be nice enough to e-mail the author/editor asking permission to copy the article here for when Giz decides to kill/archive it.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5133447/how-to-add-wi+fi-to-your-xbox-360-smartly-and-cheaply

i'm gonna be forced to go the wireless dongle route. the built-in nic on my 360 is dead.... so i've been without internet access on it for about 9-10 months now.

That's a good write-up. Before I sold my 360, I used a spare Linksys router with DD-WRT micro installed on it. Set the wireless mode to be a client and have it scan for your network and you're golden. So basically any router you can install any version of DD-WRT or Tomato on will work for connecting anything on the physical ports to your existing wireless network.

EDIT - Though I do hate it when technical articles throw in the tiresome fanboy statements. "The Xbox 360 is the best console you can buy." Sigh.

I'm currently using an old Buffalo WHR-G54S flashed with DD-WRT as a bridge for both my 360 and my PS3 (my PS3's onboard wireless wasn't getting a very good signal on its own) and it works fantastic. I saved $90 and my old router gets new life, I couldnt be happier.

Back