• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Western Digital Passport sata to esata?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiggy Fuzz

had this drive for about 7 months now, been very good. so during lectures i decided to break open the case and found a regular WD scorpio harddrive in there. the interesting thing is, it's a sata drive with power connectors all fed by the usb port. so now i have a cheap and easy way of connecting different *2.5 inch* harddrives to my laptop, without having to rummage inside the laptop and loosing screws. *still haven't tried to see if usb has the power to drive 3.5 inch harddrives*

anyway, usb (2.0) has it's downside, as for harddrives it's slow. i was wondering if there was a way it could be connected to my optical drive's sata and power port. the optical drive power connectors are shorter than a harddrive connector, but the sata port is the same size. it's a hp dv3000 series laptop, so it has the removable hot swap drive bay in it.

NAPSA1OND00522.jpg

*the sata connector is the larger one*

is there an adapter available that'll allow me to go from small sata power to regular sized sata power? it'll save me having to use usb, because it's slow, esata, because it doesn't provide power (?) or buying a harddrive caddy from hp, which i can't guarantee will fit because it's for the dv4, and anyway is the wrong colour and will cost about £60. sorry, it all seems like a jumbled mess of ideas, but finding out about the passport sata to usb adapter saves me cash, space (no extra cables or converters or such) and time (no internet mail orders to deal with).

Here is what I think your after

So I tried Googling to find this information out myself, and boy did it take a while.. Your thread was the first thing I came upon that was close to the data I needed but didn't have the answer I was looking for.

It looks like you want this part. http://www.ocp.com/product_search/search_product_detail.php?item_num=14-10300-001

Unfortunately its not a Sata power to the required 5 V for the drive. It uses the old Power connector. Thought I'd be helpful in answering your question.

USB 2.0 will only power 2.5" and lower drives. 3.5" drives are too big and use too much power for USB 2.0 to handle. Even some 2.5" drives depending on the PC won't even spin up properly unless its connected into 2 USB ports.

What you want is the new E-SATA that I think Gigabyte was showing it, where it combined both the SATA cable and the power cable into 1 connection.

Back