• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Learning SQL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

Any database admins or techs here? The office signed a contract for a new database and it looks like it will utilize a lot of SQL of which I know nothing about. I need to get on top of some training so I was wondering if I could get some input on which Microsoft courses are best for new SQL users to start off with.

Below are my choices.

Thanks.

2071 Querying MS SQL Server with Transact-SQL

2072 System Admin for SQL 2000

2073 Program a MS SQL Server 2000 Database

2778 Writing Queries MS SQL Server 2005 Transact-SQL

2779 Implementing a MS SWL Server 2005 Database

2780B Maintaing a MS SQL Server 2005 Database

2781 Designing MS SQL Server 2005 - Server Side Solutions

2782 Designing MS SQL Server 2005 Databases

2783 Designing the Data Tier for MS SQL Server 2005

2784 Tuning & Optimizing Queries Using MS SQL Server

2786 Designing MS SQL Server 2005 Infrastructure and Services

2787 Designing Security for MS SQL Server 2005

2788 Design a High Avail. DB Solution Using MS SQL Server 05

2789 Admin and Automating MS SQL Server 2005 Databases and Servers

2791 Implement & Maintain SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services

2792 Implement & Maintain SQL Server 2005 Integration

2793 Implement & Maintain SQL 2005 Reporting Services

2794 Designing a Business Intelligence Solution Arch for the Enterprise using MS SQL Server 2005

2795 Designing an ETL Solutions Arch using MS SQL Server 2005 Integration Services

2796 Designing an Analysis Solution Architecture using MS SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services

2797 Designing a Reporting Solution Architecture using MS SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services

In my opinion, training courses are overrated. I would start off by grabbing a regular old programming book and learning the syntax. Set up a local database, create some tables and rows, then teach yourself the syntax by running queries. After that take a class or two to make it "official" and get some more acute skills.

I'm not paying for them. However, do you have a recommended book(s)?

Well, there's really two main areas of learning:

1. SQL syntax - basically the nuts and bolts of building queries so you can do things like view data in a SELECT statement.

2. Theories of database design and management

If you're employer is contracting a solution then #2 shouldn't be much of an issue, since your database is already designed. That leaves #1, and I will echo the advice of getting a book (or better yet, just read some online references that are freely available) and get a database to tinker with. I feel that hands on learning is far more effective than canned training classes.

SQL is pretty standard. Each database type, like Access, Oracle and Pervasive, has their own take on the syntax. But they're all similar and once you learn one, you can easily adapt to any of the others.

Im somewhat in a similar boat, the admin who set up the sql server left, now there's a hole to fill, I've just started (as of yesterday) working on learning this stuff. I'll have to manage and maintain it.

Bit late to the action here, but Head First SQL was a fantastic book for teaching the basics and a bit of the advanced stuff, if any of you are still interested. It focuses mainly on MySQL, but again, most SQL-driven platforms don't deviate too much from the ANSI standard.

Back