• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 4870/4850 + Asus P5K Question . . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Simple. Im considering the purchase of one of these video cards(ATI HD4870/4850). I have read that the P5K board is not PCI-E 2.0. I am also to understand that the 2.0 cards are backward compatible. Will(either of) these cards work properly on the P5K??

THX
Z

PS:I have the power supply etc, to handle the extra connections either card would need.

Yes it will. My 4870 1GB runs like a champ on my P5K board. The 4870 does not fully saturate the entire 1.1 pci-e bus so there is plenty of bandwidth.

Update::: Just ordered the 4870 1GB version. Im currently using an X800 card. I could not install the CCC8.12 driver set on my current card. Will I have similar issues with the new 4870?? I am using Vista64 Ultimate. I have read around the folks are having a hard time with the 8.12 set. Any thoughts here??

Z

I had problems with 8.12 at first so I went back to 8.11. A few weeks later I just installed 8.12 over the 8.11 drivers instead of uninstalling the 8.11 first and everything has been fine since. Try updating the chipset drivers then install 8.12. You can do what I did with 8.11 and then install 8.12 on top of it. You can always install a fresh copy of Vista and that might clear it up.

bda::::I tried everything. Installed from a fresh load, installed 8.12 over 8.11 etc. . . . It's ok though the new card arrives tomorrow(1-23-09). I'll install the new card with a fresh load of Vista 64 and try the 8.12. If it doesn't work I will go back to the 8.11 driver set. I know it works. Im anxiously awaiting said card so wish me luck. Gotta see how Crysis looks compared to my current X800 :D

Z

UPDATE:bought this card. . Opinions????

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161247

Last edited:
UPDATE:::: Card has arrived and is installed and working fine with the 8.12 drivers. I am now just trying to figure out the fanspeed control. So far all the tricks are not working. and I dont like this card sitting idle at 63C. So far I love this card. Now I have to install Crysis or something to see all the prettiness it has hehehehehee

Z

PS:::And this raises an off the wall question as i just sort of thought of this. I run dual screens. Is there any value in running the old X800 and the 4870 (NOT in CF mode of course) together and feed each screen from its own card????

PSS::::EDIT Fan speed control issue solved !!

Last edited:
Back