• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

socket 775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yanko693

is there any chance of the 775 socket being phased out any time soon? i don't wanna drop big bucks on a mobo to have it worthless with the new processors in two years.

Even if you bought an i7 board now, I think 2 years from now you would be looking at a new motherboard if you wanted to get the best overclock out of a CPU upgrade.

Even if you bought an i7 board now, I think 2 years from now you would be looking at a new motherboard if you wanted to get the best overclock out of a CPU upgrade.

I'm not so sure that is true. i7 should be around for a relatively long time but the question is whether or not you'll want an LGA1156 i5 processor in the future. i5 will be out sometime this year and it will probably be the more mainstream processors that everyone will be buying. i7 will be around but will probably be at a higher pricepoint. I'm guessing that the i7 920 level processor of the future may not exist as it will cannibalize the high end of the i5 systems....just a guess but who knows.

BTW, in 2 years 775 will be dead. I think 1st half of 2009 is the last we will see of new processors for 775. After that they will keep making the same old stuff until it becomes uneconomical and then Intel will EOL nearly all of them.

775 isnt too bad, kinda depends on what ur doing. I recently built a new rig (check sig) for gaming, games only use duals now and only 1 or two games use all 4 cores, but none use them effectively, i plan on upgrading to a Q9650 and upgrading my cards later on in the future. Buying an i7 rig now, i see it as pointless, intels already making a new socket.

775 is being phased out, but Im pretty sure 775 chips will still be available in masses for at least a year after the new 1160 socket launches. You have to understand that Intel has a huge amount of overstock of their chips. It is one of the reasons for the current rate of price cuts. Expect to pay about half of the current prices for these chips the month following the new 1160 socket launch.

Performance-wise, socket 775 is still considered high performance. The 1366 socket only offers one CPU offering with its Quad core + hyper threading. Everything about this new platform is CPU based. The upcomming socket will be aimed more towards gaming and lower pricing. It will be the socket of choice. I see absolutely no urge for the 1366 as of now. The Q9550 is a great choice for a highend platform right now.

In additional news, Intel will provide engineering samples of its next-generation entry-level CPU Havendale to motherboard makers in February this year, while design validation test (DVT) will be complete in July to August with mass production in September to October. However, Intel has postponed shipping to January next year to give its current entry-level CPU inventory more time to clear.

Expect the good ol Q6600 to still be a viable lower mainstream solution even when that socket comes out. The lynnfield platform is going to be mainstream performance, and top-end gaming. I have read that Intel would lock the OC on those chips, but thats somthing I read back in may/08. Hopefully thats not true, because then a Q9550 will be the choice.

-D

Last edited:
Back