• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 36gb & 1 73gb Raptor.... What would you do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djlst

Registered
Hey guys,

Just sent back a broken 36gb raptor from my 4 36gb RAID 0 setup, and they have sent me a 73gb as a replacement.... All are the old version raptors.

I'm thinking vista on the 73gb, 2 36gb in RAID0 for games, and another 36gb for programs and the page file....

What do you think?

Sell them all and consolidate. Grab a 300gb Velociraptor.

Lol thanks guys, not really what i expected but it would mean I could ditch the software RAID....

Would my system be as fast or faster with just the one Velociraptor compared to the separates drives and RAID0 setup?

In Australia and even getting shipped from USA a Velociraptor is going to cost me roughly $100-150 more than I will be able to ebay my raptors for, so unless there are performance gains its probably not really worth it....

Wow didnt realize SSD's were that cheap already? I know its smaller in size, but still..

I have four 36gb raptors laying around not being used :)

Also whoever it was that mentioned the 640's, I agree, I just replaced two 36gb raptors with one and its quick.. really quick.. I was thoroughly impressed by the performance of this drive considering its only a 7200rpm drive.

Well that's given me something to think about.....
After some quick SSD research it seems they are moving in bounds and leaps at the moment to help fix those write freezes and the 30GB OCZ SDD seems like a great choice.

However getting two of these in Australia is still going to cost close enough to the cost of a single 300gb velociraptor. But I agree, the performance gains will be much more significant.

Bye bye raptors!!

Thanks for the ideas/advice guys!

Ok,
Found cheap local store for the 30GB OCZ SDD
http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=159&bid=2&sid=34574
But thats the core series not the same as the one from newegg but from what I can find seems pretty similar.

So the plan is,
Sell the 74gb raptor and get one of those for the OS.
Keep a 36gb raptor for program files/pagefile
And RAID0 2 36gb raptors for games

When Ive had time to save a little more, sell the 36gb program file/ page file raptor and get another 30GB OCZ SDD to RAID0 the OS programs and pagefile.

Leaving 2 ocz's in in raid0 OS, programs, page
and 2 raptors also in raid0 for games.

What do you guys think??? A third ocz will probably come eventually but after some other things so not really on the table just yet.

I don't know, but I hate buying new HDD because it's such a hassle to re-install the os, programs, updates, etc etc etc. So I suggest going for the latter one straight. I'm referring to
Leaving 2 ocz's in in raid0 OS, programs, page
But you may not have space to put your programs, depending on how many os you are installing.

As for storage... I don't know :shrugs:

Good luck and enjoy the performance gain!

Back