• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEAR 2 demo available ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well the games not bad , with nice and "creepy" at the beginning .....

However , the biggest thing thats going to keep me from buying this is NO manual game saves . :rolleyes: . The console interface is not too my liking either although that seems all tooooo comon place these days (like FC2).

Game also does not seem to use/scale Sli at all . Although fps were xint (cranked full @ 1920x1200) , my first card is carrying all the weight of the game with fairly high temps (73c) and my second card is basically idling through the whole thing at idle temps (42c-46c) .

Last edited:
Hmm... well thanks for the info. Just finished downloading, would love to play tonight but have to wake up early for work. Maybe I can sneak a few minutes in... ;)

Game also does not seem to use/scale Sli at all . Although fps were xint (cranked full @ 1920x1200) , my first card is carrying all the weight of the game with fairly high temps (73c) and my second card is basically idling through the whole thing at idle temps (42c-46c) .

Yup. Just had same thing. (1) 260 at 83C while (2) 260 at 53C. I wonder if the final product will have SLI support. Game played flawlessly at 1900x1200 with all max settings, but what a shame that (2) 260 sits there and cries sweaty tears......

Playing it right now and the only real bad thing that stands out is you can't manually eject from the mech. You're forced to eject when it can't take any more damage and needs to shut down for manual repairs. At that point there's another mech + bunch of other guys shooting you, so there's no way to survive once forced out as you're in line of fire.

They should let you manually eject, so when it's flashing "Warning" before reaching the critical point, you can just eject before facing another mech.

But otherwise it's good so far. Nice variety of weapons and good game engine; not graphically stunning like Crytek2 but overall nice visuals, good gameplay and very good performance.

I was an uber fan of the original fear game and expansions. The Jupiter engine (which both the orig and fear2 are made with) is showing its age, although I feel they are flexing it well. Did anyone else think that the film grain was oppressive? At least in left 4 dead you can adjust it. The game doesn't come out until the end of the year, so I have hopes for it.

-The creep factor is back again. :)
-The high precision of the aiming system seems to be lost this time around. :(
-The weapons seem toylike and artificial- demo only?
-The blood looks like the blood in Dead Space.
-Falling water sorta looks like Bioshock, but nowhere near as good.
-I hope we get larger textures in the final release.
-If this is the first level of the game, well, eghh. Too much too soon, feels rushed. Feels just like the first expansion to fear.
-Will buy because I'm a fear fanatic. :)

It's decent and while there is some console things in it, overall I had good time playing the demo. It plays well for me (1920x1200 Maxed) but a few times I noticed a stutter or two. The brightness setting really does help, lots of darkness and creepy feel heh.

Thanks for this heads up, stereo!

It's decent and while there is some console things in it, overall I had good time playing the demo. It plays well for me (1920x1200 Maxed) but a few times I noticed a stutter or two. The brightness setting really does help, lots of darkness and creepy feel heh.

I've noticed that the demo actually runs better/smoother than the original F.E.A.R.--even at 1900 x 1200. I was pretty impressed.

I thought the sniper rifle was a little too powerful, though. One shot anywhere on the body, and the enemy completely explodes into a multitude of bloody chunks no bigger than your little finger.

Heck, even the power armor machine guns could only cut someone into halves.

End of the year? I thought it was coming out February 10th?

It does seem like there's 'too much too soon' in the demo, but I'm hoping this doesn't mean 'we've already seen most of it', but instead maybe it's only a small fraction and there's probably much more to the full game. The weapons look toy-like in design, probably because the engine makes them like that... they lack the metal-shine and stuff. And firing sounds are more towards the 'realistic sound' spectrum than the 'cool-sounding hollywood effects' side. Normal movement seems a bit slower than most fps, again aiming towards realism.

All in all the experience can be a bit weird at first, if you're used to fast paced shooters like UT. But for this type of shooter it supposedly works out good, not that I can really tell how it will turn out for sure yet. The demo is way too short.

Edit: just looked at the minimum system requirements and it lists "Hard Drive: 12GB", so it's likely that we haven't seen too much in the demo. It's only 1.8 GB. Maybe the full version also has higher res textures.

-The high precision of the aiming system seems to be lost this time around. :(

I noticed this as well...it plays much less fluid than the original. The slo-mo effect is not nearly as good in this game either. Feels a bit like a sell out to the console crowd...but so is everything else these days. :bang head

I'm hoping the lack of save ability was just for the demo.

Back