• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What antenna will suffice for ATSC 100+ miles away?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usp8riot

Is there any indoor antenna capable of this? Apt structure is of brick, if it makes any difference and semi-hilly region. I just got the Hauppauge 1800 and can't receive crap. Analog also sucks on it compared to the PVR150 so it seems a waste unless I can pick up something other than analog.

no indoor will do it.

DB16 or dual modified gray hoover man MIGHT do it

My DB8 is pulling in 55-60 mile stations with no problems.

Outside mounted and hte rule with antenna is larger and higher is always better.

Crap. Thanks but any outdoor antenna I fear will get stolen. Maybe I should just buy a DVR considering the pain of setting up an HTPC/Desktop PC with upcoming QAM.

If you have cable why do you need an antenna?

QAM is cable only

And any clearQAM tuner will work in your HTPC, for your basic cable channels. (Free ones like USA/TNT, local channels... anyone that you have to pay extra for will probably be QAM not ClearQAM)

Check here for a list of unecrypted channels you can grab.

EDIT: Only cable card tuners can grab encrypted QAM and that is a whole 'nother ball game, not worth it TBH, cheaper and easier to just get the DVR.

I was going to lookinto getting a DVR cable box straight from motorola instead of comcast, as they have networking capability, but never explored it to see if it would work (so you could offload recorded shows to your PC and rencode them)

Last edited:
Because I don't have many options for my PC other than getting a PVR and attaching it somehow. I can't pick up any ClearQAM stations so I assume they're not broadcasting any. I don't have a QAM capable tv yet so I've been trying to make due with just using my PC the few times I watch tv.

Also, thanks for the link. Very helpful for local questions.

Last edited:
Back