• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7v600 Want new Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlmityAMD

Hey Guys

I got a A7V600 Asus board with a Athlon Xp 3000+. I know its pretty old but its what i got at the moment. Now i just read an old Overclock review on both of these together and they said that they used some Kingston pc4000 500mhz ram. I know that the a7v600 doesnt like a bunch of diffrent brands so could some one help me to find some pc4000 for it.

Yes i know where to buy ram but mushkin is the only brand. How do i know if it works in this mobo or not. New egg doesnt let you return ****.

[Edited after doing a little research...]

I suspect that more of the generic stuff would work with it now than would when the board was new, just because memory has improved since 2003, and newer stuff is more likely to handle the more agressive sub-timings (or whatever you want to call the timings not adjustable from BIOS) that Asus tended to use. Perhaps you should just forget about finding DDR500 (unless you get lucky and net some used off eBay), and just take the risk on some decent quality DDR400.

I just did some looking to refresh my memory about the KT600 chipset, and it'll take double-sided modules, one at 400mhz, two at 333mhz. Apparently some pairs of single-sided, low-density modules can work at 400mhz, but it's easy to run into trouble there, and I think that's where a lot of the compatibility issues came from. I also noticed that the official Asus compatibility list shows a lot of D43-based memory, so if you find some memory based on that, it'll probably work.

I cannot guarantee that all of it will have the same chips on it, but I will say that I got some of this Wintec memory a few weeks ago and it had D43 chips, and mine works perfectly fine at DDR533. Again, YMMV, but honestly, DDR1 has been obsolete for a couple years now, so your choices are pretty limited... it comes down to whether you're willing to take a $30 risk or not.

Last edited:
Back