• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update with Vista acting up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

I stopped using Windows 7 beta on my main PC and found the normal Vista to perform roughly the same, after the HDD cranking settled down, thus the following:

I dunno what the problem was, but Windows Update was erroring with a message that there was a problem, (with a generic error).
(I forget the error code, but Microsoft suggested Internet Explorer settings and then Microsoft blabbing that a svchost problem or other component being obstructed, can cause that)

It would do that randomly, it would do that after about 5 seconds then sometimes after a minute, then possibly after 15 minutes.

This occurred yesterday. And I barely gotten Service Pack 1 installed and the Windows Update history shows that it literally took
10 bleepin' retries to complete the installation of updates!

Does this sound like a Microsoft server glitch? Seems like it, because I'm fine now.

Oh, BTW, I'm stable, because I did over 8 hours of Prime95 blend in a 64-bit Windows, with a 64-bit version of Prime95.

I'm now back to 32-bit.

Last edited:
Back