• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP - can't connect to workgroup PCs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toasty_Squirrel

I have two computers on my home network. They're connected via a Linksys router before heading out to the internet. However the problem I'm having is exclusively for the home network side of things.

Both computers on in the same workgroup, so I can see them in "My Network Places". I'm using ZoneAlarm and have the home IP range in "trusted" so I am able to ping each computer. Both computers are setup with the same username and same password.

However when I try to connect to the computers, whether double clicking on their icon in Network Places or accessing them through Start->Run "\\ipaddress\<share>" I'm prompted with a username/password prompt. But the username is greyed at as the "guest" account.

I know I've done this in the past where I could enter *any* username/password I wanted and wasn't restricted to some greyed out preset. How can I get this to work? Kind of like how it used to be with Windows 2K.

Both systems are running XP-Pro SP2. Both are in the same workgroup. Both have the same username/password.

Back