• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does intel bother making high VID chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RSDXzec

Disabled
I bought a Q6600 high VID 1.325V, cant oc at all, but you can get some at 1.285V waaay better for OCing so why does intel bother making the high VID chips which are pretty much worthless and heat up too much?

------

Also, id hate to make another thread, but just wondering, does intel support Ocing?, do any other companies support ocing? like XFX maybe :confused:

they dont heat up to much vs others at stock... you forget intel doesnt sell cpus for overclocking they are for stock speeds. intel has a max spec for the cpus, thus they can use more dies. why throw away a perfectly good die, just cause the vid is a touch higher then others? just cause a cpu has a lower vid then another does not automaticly mean it is going to oc better. the week of the batch matters way more then the vid of the cpu...

well it may not guarantee better Ocing capabilities but it does increase the ability of Ocing with the right mobo, and it does guarantee lower temps.

I bought a Q6600 high VID 1.325V, cant oc at all, but you can get some at 1.285V waaay better for OCing so why does intel bother making the high VID chips which are pretty much worthless and heat up too much?

------

Also, id hate to make another thread, but just wondering, does intel support Ocing?, do any other companies support ocing? like XFX maybe :confused:

Intel will not go on record saying they support overclocking, but obviously they do allow their chips to be pushed.

why are high VID chips worthless? look how many people have Q6600 over 3Ghz... that is pretty impressive... now look at the 45nm Q series,, massive overclocks on those too.

I think VID refers to the minimum voltage needed that Intel in all their wisdom has deemed that particular cpu to run at stock speed.
I hope I explained that right :-/.
Mine is a 1.325 VID but it will run 3.0ghz stable on 1.27 Vcore so can somebody correct me if that is an incorrect answer?

Last edited:
well yeh, i can push my high VID Q6600 up to 3.4Ghz with 1.5V Vcore
Just dont like it.

and to jwilliams, the VId is how much the manufacturer (in this case intel) has set the amount of voltage a CPU is supposed to use

Thanks galador and RSDXzec. I don't mean to hijack this thread and this might be more indepth that just a one sentence answer but... If the manufacture sets the VID but we can change the voltage why would that matter? Are you meaning that they set the range and you can't go above and below at all? If I'm looking at this all wrong, it's ok, you can call me dumb. You won't hurt my feelings :D

well yeh, i can push my high VID Q6600 up to 3.4Ghz with 1.5V Vcore
Just dont like it.

and to jwilliams, the VId is how much the manufacturer (in this case intel) has set the amount of voltage a CPU is supposed to use

Count yourself lucky. My E6750 has a VID of 1.325v and needs 1.53v (at load) to reach 3.53ghz.

Thanks galador and RSDXzec. I don't mean to hijack this thread and this might be more indepth that just a one sentence answer but... If the manufacture sets the VID but we can change the voltage why would that matter? Are you meaning that they set the range and you can't go above and below at all? If I'm looking at this all wrong, it's ok, you can call me dumb. You won't hurt my feelings :D

There is a maximum range on the Q6600 of 1.5V which you really don't want to go over because it is common knowledge that that is the point where you can start damaging the cpu.
As for undervolting, if you go too far down the OS won't boot or gets unstable is about all that happens.

There is a maximum range on the Q6600 of 1.5V which you really don't want to go over because it is common knowledge that that is the point where you can start damaging the cpu.
As for undervolting, if you go too far down the OS won't boot or gets unstable is about all that happens.
Ok that makes total sense now thanks.

ok this is to make a point on how the VID is not a factor like i said. the batch week of the cpu is far more important then anything. now keep in mind this SS of the E4300, pretty much all early batches did this. later ones well, it wasnt around very long..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/e43003s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/superpi 32m/e4332spd32m.jpg

sorry no Coretemp shot in this ss
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...1m runs/?action=view&current=p3536g11sp1m.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/Abit ab9 pro/stuck.jpg
but the VID for this magical E6400 was 1.325v as well...

Some people believe that VID plays a role in OC capability and other people believe that batch weeks do.
Then there are people like me who believe that it is totally a luck thing if you get a good OC or not.

well it may not guarantee better Ocing capabilities but it does increase the ability of Ocing with the right mobo, and it does guarantee lower temps.

Nope. I had several Q6600's. One w/ a 1.2VID was a furnace. Another w/ 1.2125VID ran cool.

VID doesn't mean as much as you think it does.

Some people believe that VID plays a role in OC capability and other people believe that batch weeks do.
Then there are people like me who believe that it is totally a luck thing if you get a good OC or not.

if that was the case then all early E8400/E7200 wouldnt have oced to so good. as if you compared them to later batches oc's started to go down. only now with E0 E8500/E8600 have oc's been as good as with early E8400's. i wouldnt say it is a belief batch makes a difference when it has been shown for quiet some time it does make a difference. i could then say stepping first batch second, unless there is only one stepping then only batch would matter.

if that was the case then all early E8400/E7200 wouldnt have oced to so good. as if you compared them to later batches oc's started to go down. only now with E0 E8500/E8600 have oc's been as good as with early E8400's. i wouldnt say it is a belief batch makes a difference when it has been shown for quiet some time it does make a difference. i could then say stepping first batch second, unless there is only one stepping then only batch would matter.
That answer leads to a question then.
Does all the cpu from the same batch week mean that they will OC close to same results or does it mean that your chance ( hence the luck I mentioned) that you will get a higher OC result is better?
Not trying to argue or be sarcastic, just explaining my last post.
There is no dispute that on average your chance would be better but it is not guaranteed.

Last edited:
well its like there, there is a "best" batch to get. how ever just like you say there is some luck. this luck though is with getting the HIGHEST oc possible, some will be more cherry then other in this batch. however the best batch will have a oc it will be able to do no problem vs others. take the E8400 for example, first batch able to do 4+ghz no problem, later batches couldnt. later batches could however get to around 3.8ghz with ease. getting duds in good batches has been very rare from what i have seen... while we wont be able to keep track of all the cpus from X batch. you can if you look enough find info of certian batches and how they oc. for the most part the good batches have prolly found there way into OEM pc's. since after all that is where the largest number of cpus go too.

Back