• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX GTX 285 on Blue Storm II ? Possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Poffik

Hi , i really didn' t want to make a new thread but i must know no matter what before i buy XFX GTX 285 ,
year ago i bought PSU Blue Storm II 500W , http://www.shopfsp.com/blue-storm-ii-500watt/p/414.html
but when a saw that minimum W for PSU is 550W on 285 i got nervous

RIG.
GTX 285 55nm (soon)
Intel Q6600 Quad-Core 2.44ghz 45nm
3gb DDR2 800 RAM
1x SATA HDD
1x DVD-RW

Nothing is Overclocked

+12V RAILS: 2

Output Voltage:
+3.3V DC
+5V DC
+12V1 DC
+12V2 DC
-12V DC
+5Vsb DC (Standby)

Input Voltage:
115V AC to 230V AC, 47 ~ 63Hz
Power Factor Correction (PFC):
ACTIVE PFC | FULL RANGE
Input Current: 6.0A @ 115 Vrms, 60 Hz.
3.0A @ 230 Vrms, 50 Hz.

please think before answering , DO I NEED NEW PSU??

Thinking is *NOT* my bag...but...

Yes. I think it's advisable given that your CPU is a 65nm quad.

I have 3 FSP Blue Storm Is BTW. I feel your pain. I use them everywhere a powerhouse isn't required.

You're fine.
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9770 @ 3.852Ghz + BFG GTX 285 OCX = 348W AC in 3DMark. That's mean 348W DC x 0.8 (PSU efficiency) = 279W DC (from PSU).

Last edited:
You're fine.
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9770 @ 3.852Ghz + BFG GTX 285 OCX = 348W AC in 3DMark. That's mean 348W DC x 0.8 (PSU efficiency) = 279W AC (from PSU).

are you serious ? im fine ? people say that 600 is not enough and my 500 is fine ? wah now im confused

The Q6600 consumes more power than the QX9770 stock vs stock. I wouldn't advise this.

The FSP BS II is a good PSU, but the GTX 285 was a gleam in the eye when it was designed. Will it power up and run? Yes probably, but this is cutting it too thin IMO. I wouldn't do this with my own gear. Your mileage may vary.

Resell the BS II and get a 650tx. There are a metric tonne of great PSUs around for cheap these days.

Courtesy of our testing lab I'll give you another power consumption, in two games this time.

Intel Core i7 940 @ 3600MHZ + GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 285

consum-copy.png

Bottom line, you can try without fear. If your PSU get warm in full-load and/or you have some instabilities you should change it, but I'd say that it's not the case.

well i think its okay , if i want only a video card to run w/o quad core or DVD (for most of games bf 2142 etc.) too bad , but i need a new PSU :(

then here is another question.
after changing PSU do i need to tweak BIOS or change anything in it ? or just place is , connect it and run as always

You can't fry your card from an underpowered good PSU.
Worst case you won't see anything on monitor because your video card lack enough power.
Oh well, it's your choice. :)

Then sell your PSU and get a new one (1k?)
do you even know how pain-in-the-*** it is to be with only 1 PC :/
plus what you say is right , BS II i bought from same shop im going to buy new PSU and GTX 285 , so if i return BS II i get a refund (thanks to 3 year warranty) then can add some more cash and buy new PSU but in the mean time i will be left without PSU & running PC pecause delivery takes 2-3 days , and the sh*t is i cant do a full refund (take money from their store) only to add some more and buy something or buy by same price and there is really no point in buying GTX 285 and PSU separated , just need to pay twice for delivery :<

You can't fry your card from an underpowered good PSU.
Worst case you won't see anything on monitor because your video card lack enough power.
Oh well, it's your choice. :)

numbas , 334+102=436 - 64 Watt left , for DVD , HHD = 10 Watt and other small stuff >pushing to the limit

IMG0018977.gif

Last edited:
Man I don't know what you understand from my graphs but a computer with GTX 285 + i7 940 @ 3600MHZ or Quad Extreme QX9770 @ 3.852Ghz needs ~280W from PSU in games.

Man I don't know what you understand from my graphs but a computer with GTX 285 + i7 940 @ 3600MHZ or Quad Extreme QX9770 @ 3.852Ghz needs ~280W from PSU in games.

So you're saying that my 650 watt power supply would handle my i7 @ 4GHz, and a GTX295 without any trouble? :drool:

do you even know how pain-in-the-*** it is to be with only 1 PC :/
plus what you say is right , BS II i bought from same shop im going to buy new PSU and GTX 285 , so if i return BS II i get a refund (thanks to 3 year warranty) then can add some more cash and buy new PSU but in the mean time i will be left without PSU & running PC pecause delivery takes 2-3 days , and the sh*t is i cant do a full refund (take money from their store) only to add some more and buy something or buy by same price and there is really no point in buying GTX 285 and PSU separated , just need to pay twice for delivery :<

What more do you ask for :confused:?

The answer is clear here: 500w is enough, but more is always better.

If you truly do not want to risk running out of power, upgrade.

Back