• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCR320 Push-Pull

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkcow

I currently have 3 D12SL-12 Low speed Yates on my MCR-320. If I get 3 more D12SM-12 medium speed Yates and put them in Push-Pull what will be the benefits?

I'm guessing it won't be much and-or I may as well just use 3 medium in push. My q6600 can heat up my room and get load temperatures of 60c! With summer coming on fast I'm getting worried.

any comments?

I'd put 6 Mediums on it, don't put 3 LS and 3 MS on the same rad. The MCR does better with meduims than lows. Or get 3 HS and fan control them.

You could use a bit more fannage.

Yeah, I don't think it would help to have two different speed fans on the same rad. Either replace the low speeds with medium speeds or use all mediums.

ya keep speeds the same.

i have my MCR320 with 6 high speed yates at 5v's and it's hard to hear them.

All fans are 12VDC. You get a fan controller to turn them down or you do the math and add a resistor to the fan. Better to just buy a controller where you can adjust them as you seem fit. Most fan controllers go down to 5 or 7 volts, use a voltmeter.

How do you know what volt you are running?

i don't use a fan controller, i wired it so the 5v line is going to the fans and not 12v.

on a standard molex connector there is 4 wires. red-black-black-yellow

red is 5v, the 2 black wires are ground, and yellow is 12v.

there are 2 wires to power the fan, red and black.

here is a paint picture of how to run at 12,7, and 5 volts.

fansfi4.jpg

I may splurge on 3-6 High Speed yates and 7v mod them. Or get a rheostat.

i don't use a fan controller, i wired it so the 5v line is going to the fans and not 12v.

on a standard molex connector there is 4 wires. red-black-black-yellow

red is 5v, the 2 black wires are ground, and yellow is 12v.

there are 2 wires to power the fan, red and black.

here is a paint picture of how to run at 12,7, and 5 volts.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6433/fansfi4.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the detailed diagram. So anything connects to the black wire will result negetive voltage?

And for OP, why not just get 3 more low yates. 7v high runs just about the same rpm as 12v low if the voltage and rpm scale linearly.

Thanks for the detailed diagram. So anything connects to the black wire will result negetive voltage?

no, they are grounds which have no voltage. it allows the voltages to flow.

voltage need a potential difference to flow. so for the standard 12v fan there is 12v's on one side and 0v on the other so all 12v flow to the 0v side.

with the 12v and 5v lines there is a potential difference of 7v (12-5=7) and that is why you get 7v's.

Think of it as 2 cups of water. one is full and one empty. if you hook them up at the bottom with a tube the water will flow from one to the other until it evens out.

And for OP, why not just get 3 more low yates. 7v high runs just about the same rpm as 12v low if the voltage and rpm scale linearly.

That is also a good idea. I would need to find some performance data on Push-Pull with low speed, VS Push with high speed vs Push with medium.

I haven't tried a push-pull setup on my Swifty rads, but I would think that 6 low speed Yates on that 320 in push-pull should be more than enough for optimum performance. With a push-pull setup there is no need for higher speed fans, IMO, unless you are going for a bleeding edge overclock and even then I don't know if the difference would be enough to help overclock higher.

I haven't tried a push-pull setup on my Swifty rads, but I would think that 6 low speed Yates on that 320 in push-pull should be more than enough for optimum performance. With a push-pull setup there is no need for higher speed fans, IMO, unless you are going for a bleeding edge overclock and even then I don't know if the difference would be enough to help overclock higher.

it has helped me him 4.2GHz with just water cooling on my quad. with my HS's at 5v it can get hot, around 57C i think it was. with high speed it droped to 50C. something like that. i haven't oc'd for a long time so i forget all the data.

I would just put three medium yates on and be done with it. This is the setup that I use and you can feel the air coming through over a meter away. I honestly don't see how three more fans in pull is going to increase the performance of this rad.

I would just put three medium yates on and be done with it. This is the setup that I use and you can feel the air coming through over a meter away. I honestly don't see how three more fans in pull is going to increase the performance of this rad.

According to statistic and personal experience, it does. Check martin's lab for more info about shroud, push and pull configuration.

I think I've decided on 3 high speed yates. If they don't seem to help I will undervolt to 7v and then do a push pull with my 3 low speed yates at 12v.

According to statistic and personal experience, it does. Check martin's lab for more info about shroud, push and pull configuration.

And I'm telling you it doesn't.

It might net results if you wanna try running low speeds to be quieter, but I'm here to tell you from my own experience it doesn't make a lick of noticeable difference, I've tried it. And it would have to be noticeable change in temperatures to make it worth the extra PITA and or Extra Noise asscociated with putting 3 more mediums in push pull.

And yes, I've used shrouds b4. I'm well aware of what they are and how they work.

And I have done extensive reading at Martin's liquid Lab, thank you.

I'll go with what I know from personal testing on my own loop, which is the basis of my posts at OCF. I'm not just blowing smoke out my ***.

Baditude, no worries. It does make a diff, a small one by martins tests and not worth the trouble, your 100% correct in my book.

Adding more fans and a shroud will help. But if your not pushing max wattage your rad can handle to the limits the benefits are small and probably not worth the trouble.

Looking at a chart and doing it is two different things, which one will I believe? Doing it.

Looking at a chart and doing it is two different things, which one will I believe? Doing it.

Amen to that brother.

And yes, of course. I've read the tests. Martins empirical evaluations show slight improvements. I hear ya Conumdrum.

And just to reiterate, are these improvements enough to notice with out fancy monitoring hardware? No, and therefore certainly not worth the trouble. There's a big damn difference from martins lab environment and our simple loops, although on a basic level there will be parallels.

For me, there have to be noticeable difference in monitored load temps to make it worth while. 2-3deg, while substantial, would barely make it into that category. 5 degrees, I would probably make the modification, but typically those types of temperature changes would only come about by making major chages such as Rad or Block or moving from a kit to a decent custom loop.

In my case, a shroud on the 3 push fans had no noticeable difference, and 3 pull fans of equal make and model had no noticeable difference. This is why on my loop, you will see three push fans bolted directly to the rad body taking advantage of the 1/4" built in standoff.

the only measurable difference you are going to see with push/pull is when you are using thicker rads like BIX rads or heater cores. With thinner rads like the MCR rads and lower FPI rads like the PA rads, you will see very little or no measurable benefit.

Back