• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blue 83

OK I got a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard in my old system. I got a new bigger monitor for it, so I unplugged my old monitor and plugged in the new monitor and nothing happens when I try to boot up? All I get is a black screen. I get no Post beeps, and nothing comes on the sceen. Everything turns on and starts running when I start it up....fans/hdd/psu/lights/ect...but just a black screen? But the power lights on the motherboard itself are still coming on. Also tried hooking back up to the old monitor and still nothing.

I have done swapped out the GPU, RAM, PSU, and HDD with my new system and can pretty much narrow it down thats its not none of them. I also tried clearing CMOS with still no luck. So I am guessing somehow the motherboard is dead?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Specs on old system

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
AMD 4200+
250GB HD
7900GS GPU
550w PSU

Last edited:
only install the bare minimum of conponents you need to get your computer working (exp: one stick of memory, no cd drives, pull all cards, unplug all cables short of the keyboard)
try a different video card?

other thing to note, was there power on the monitor when you pluged it in, there will be a little bit of power running thru the cables that may have when you unpluged your old monitor it shorted out your card? (it doesn't take much

does it boot to windows (can you hear your start up sound)

did you have static protecton on (be honest!)

Last edited:
only install the bare minimum of conponents you need to get your computer working (exp: one stick of memory, no cd drives, pull all cards, unplug all cables short of the keyboard)
try a different video card?

other thing to note, was there power on the monitor when you pluged it in, there will be a little bit of power running thru the cables that may have when you unpluged your old monitor it shorted out your card? (it doesn't take much

does it boot to windows (can you hear your start up sound)

did you have static protecton on (be honest!)

Yes I have tried taking out everything and all memory except 1 stick, and still no luck. I tried booting up with another clean hard drive and still no luck. I took the video card out of the old one and tried putting it in my new system to see if it could of been bad, and the video card works fine in my new system.
So I would say its not the GPU, RAM, or HDD? Also cleared CMOS, and still nothing. And I have power to everything, so I would say its not the powersupply?

When I try booting up, nothing happens. Just a black screen. I get no post beeps or anything. But everything powers up and comes on in my case. lights, fans, ect...
Yes I always unplug all power before I do anything on my computer.

And no I didnt have any kind of static protection on at that time.....lol all I was doing was unplugging one monitor and plugging in another.

Would the green light still come on on my mobo if it was dead???
and what about the CPU, could that be a factor?

Last edited:
Did you try changing video slots?

Yes, the power light will come on even if there are issues on the board. It shows power is getting to the board, that's all. Weird that there's no beep - that leads me to believe there is something wrong in the basic system components (CPU, RAM, video, or board) but a new monitor shouldn't kill anything! Have you tried the new monitor on another machine ...?

Did you try changing video slots?
BINGO....That was the last thing that I ended up trying and it booted up finally. I messed around a lil bit and everything seemed fine. So I wanted to see if it would boot back up changing the video card back to the original slot and it did??? I have no clue whats going on, or why it wouldnt boot up all day yesturday in the original video slot. I would almost say I didnt have the video card inserted properly when it wasnt booting up, but I had taken it out and reinstalled it several different times, so I dunno:confused:
Anyways, its doing good now, thanks for everything.

Changing slots does force the BIOS to reset the video - similar to running one RAM slot for other system settings. You just never know with machines. Anyone that's says machines don't have personalities just haven't played with enough of them ... ;)

Back