• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply Myths Exposed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is by far the best read i give to anyone building a system and wanting the best of the best power supplies *cough* pcpowerandcolling *cough*, i start out by saying DO YOUR RESEARCH (exp: ocforums is a great source for info :))

http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/

and yes i am a PC Power and Cooling fan boy!:drool:

Problem is they don't make their own power supplies, the opinions expressed are theirs, and independent tests and reviews show otherwise. The exposed "myths" may have been true a few years ago but not anymore.

well, i know there ocz.

I im reading this again and trying to find the parts that arnt true to todays PS

hell, in most of the ocforums i can find the same information, now im not saying take this information as the "word of god" but if some basement dweling nerd wants to make an independent test and write a review he is entitled too, ill just take his information with a grain of salt over a company with a reputation with making high quality power supplies\\

i used to go by the old PS code of the heavier the better, ahhh the good old days!

PS PP&C fanboy

well, i know there ocz.

I im reading this again and trying to find the parts that arnt true to todays PS

hell, in most of the ocforums i can find the same information, now im not saying take this information as the "word of god" but if some basement dweling nerd wants to make an independent test and write a review he is entitled too, ill just take his information with a grain of salt over a company with a reputation with making high quality power supplies\\

i used to go by the old PS code of the heavier the better, ahhh the good old days!

PS PP&C fanboy

Here, knock yourself out:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=589708

Pay special attention the Antec Signature series. It's partially modular too........ None of these people are "basement dweling nerds" either.

Power supply myths are exposed DAILY (well.. now bi-weekly...) by TEAM RAINLESS.

I bought into the PCP&C "myths" at first, but then I met people who set me straight on it.

Joe,

Another "myth" is that they stand alone at the top in an ivory tower dictating industry standards which is not true anymore. Others now have warranties and quality that are just as good or better for less money. This is not to imply that there is anything wrong with PCP&C units, they just have to realize that they have serious competition and that some of their myths have been highly exploited.

myths?

Of those 8 questions and answers, can someone show me where it’s wrong? and where these answers don't apply in today’s PS?

i can be as bias as everyone else, but from my experience and technical background I find it to be true, (excluding the parts where they put PPC&C against brand x OEM PS's, now that is silly, its like comparing a pinto to a corvette)

FWIW, brand X is usually Enermax in the pics they use.

The myths aren't really 100% wrong or right so much as they're skewed to present PC P&C units in a good light.

Take the single rail one for example. For a very few people out there who want to run piles and piles of hard drives, a quad 12V unit would be a bad idea unless it was designed for it (and very few of them are). PC P&C just doesn't let you in on the fact that only that small number of people will have a problem, which in turn makes their units look good.

And the big fan one... again, units with large fans on the bottom could run into trouble in a server environment. Doesn't matter to most of us consumers who use cases with lots of room for airflow, but PC P&C doesn't tell you that part of it. So, 80mm fans really are better... sometimes. They just don't tell you the "sometimes" part of it.

FWIW, brand X is usually Enermax in the pics they use.

The myths aren't really 100% wrong or right so much as they're skewed to present PC P&C units in a good light.

Take the single rail one for example. For a very few people out there who want to run piles and piles of hard drives, a quad 12V unit would be a bad idea unless it was designed for it (and very few of them are). PC P&C just doesn't let you in on the fact that only that small number of people will have a problem, which in turn makes their units look good.

And the big fan one... again, units with large fans on the bottom could run into trouble in a server environment. Doesn't matter to most of us consumers who use cases with lots of room for airflow, but PC P&C doesn't tell you that part of it. So, 80mm fans really are better... sometimes. They just don't tell you the "sometimes" part of it.

thank you, i stand corrected, and excellent examples :)

Also, their advisory on modular v/s non-modular connections is a tad exaggerated. Well, it is marketing speak at best, so do your research before you buy into it.

Also, ever wonder why PCP&C advocates single rail power supplies as being "the only true way" to make a power supply? Or ever wonder why PCP&C, given that they do advocate the prior statement....single rail is best.....made a tri-rail Turbo-Cool 1kw power supply? (They did, you know......)

PCPowerTurboCool1KW.jpg

So what happened to make PCP&C dump their original design for a single rail v.2 of the same power supply, called the Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR....(note the SR at the end to differentiate it from the poorly engineered or thought out tri-rail design of theirs.)

Synopsis: This particular power supply is an example of a company producing a power supply with three +12V rails, something that in theory should have provided MORE than ample power to a high end gaming rig, and screwed up. This PSU company somewhat followed EPS12V specifications, which is for servers, not "gamers". They put ALL of the PCIe connectors on one of the +12V rails, +12V3, instead of a separate +12V rail. The +12V rail was easily overloaded and caused the PSU to shut down...this rail, incidentally, also was responsible for powering all the hard drives you may have been using, all the Molexes, etc. So, you throw a pair of highend video cards in Crossfire or SLI, some hard drives, optical drives, fans, whatever else you have in your computer, begin gaming, and overload the rail.....shut down. Instead of correcting the problem, they just did away with the splitting of +12V rails altogether.

So, PCP&C's FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) they cast about split rail power supplies comes from them simply poorly engineering their own multi-rail design and rather than fix it, they trashed it and went to a single rail design.....easier to build, a hair cheaper to build, and no pesky difficulties in engineering a proper multi-rail design that won't trip off from being overloaded.

Last edited:
Also, their advisory on modular v/s non-modular connections is a tad exaggerated. Well, it is marketing speak at best, so do your research before you buy into it.

Meanwhile the top quality modulars are cleaning PCP & Cooling's sales clock by end users. Since PCP & C insists on their modular "myth," they dare not have an OEM modular because they would have to rewrite their "myths" and eat crow.

It's all about making money and if PCP & C would offer modulars, they would sell nicely with their great reputation. I'm rather surprised that OCZ hasn't kicked some butt at their PCP & C division regarding this.

Back