• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yeah, KDE 4.2!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gotaro

I'm excited! :bday:

...But I'm just a helpless newb, waiting for "soon"...
KDE 4.2 has been released. Users of our development Jaunty version can do a full upgrade to get the latest packages. Packages for 8.10 (Intrepid) will appear soon in the kubuntu-experimental PPA.
Soon?! What does that mean? Later today? Within the next couple days?

--Edit--
So.. Why again was there a big celebration for 4.2? No ARGB window decorations = nothing changed for me. It is absolutely the same lol. /sigh

Last edited:
Lol.. Geez.. I didn't even have that many problems with bugs. The first thing I tried to do after getting 4.2 was install a new plasmoid, which bugged out and failed while I was installing the dev packages just to compile the thing! So I said screw that, closed the plasmoids I did have, and am just going to keep things plain. ...And all I wanted was a weather plasmoid that didn't suck and showed me the weather at my house, not 20 miles away!

Lol.. Geez.. I didn't even have that many problems with bugs. The first thing I tried to do after getting 4.2 was install a new plasmoid, which bugged out and failed while I was installing the dev packages just to compile the thing! So I said screw that, closed the plasmoids I did have, and am just going to keep things plain. ...And all I wanted was a weather plasmoid that didn't suck and showed me the weather at my house, not 20 miles away!

Many 3rd party Plasmoids will need to be ported to 4.2. But 4.2 also supports google widgets (I have not tried it yet) so you can add a weather widget from google that should be more reliable than what you are using now.

Soon?! What does that mean? Later today? Within the next couple days?

It was released earlier today. If you have the experimental repos added to Adept then all the effected packages are available for upgrade. They are not pushing it to Intrepid by default.

See Kubuntu.org's front page for details on getting the upgrade if you haven't already.

Many 3rd party Plasmoids will need to be ported to 4.2. But 4.2 also supports google widgets (I have not tried it yet) so you can add a weather widget from google that should be more reliable than what you are using now.

It was released earlier today. If you have the experimental repos added to Adept then all the effected packages are available for upgrade. They are not pushing it to Intrepid by default.

See Kubuntu.org's front page for details on getting the upgrade if you haven't already.
Hm.. I'm not sure I really want google desktop on my computer, but thanks! I looked into their weather widgets and they seemed to have just as many comments about their inaccuracy and unreliability (even on the WeatherBug one).

I did receive the update, thanks!

Back