• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help making a USB boot flash to install XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
I'm looking to make a USB install boot drive for systems that have a bad DVD/CD-ROM drive and hoping their BIOS supports Bootable USB device.

I've downloaded a program called PeToUSB ver 3.0.0.7, which seems to write everything I need, but fails at a point during bootup, with this error:

\$WIN~NTt$.~BT\biosinfo.inf
could not be loaded
Error code is 18

Has anyone used this program or know of a program that works?

I'm looking to make a USB install boot drive for systems that have a bad DVD/CD-ROM drive and hoping their BIOS supports Bootable USB device.

I've downloaded a program called PeToUSB ver 3.0.0.7, which seems to write everything I need, but fails at a point during bootup, with this error:

\$WIN~NTt$.~BT\biosinfo.inf
could not be loaded
Error code is 18

Has anyone used this program or know of a program that works?

Joe,

Use this file from HP. I don't have the URL handy but the file is clean.

Attachments

• HPUSBFW.zip
    368.2 KB · Views: 768
Joe,

Use this file from HP. I don't have the URL handy but the file is clean.

Yeah, Have this. Not what I'm looking for... Looking to put XP on a USB drive.

Instead of installing XP from a CD, I want to boot and install from a USB drive instead...

Yeah, Have this. Not what I'm looking for... Looking to put XP on a USB drive.

Instead of installing XP from a CD, I want to boot and install from a USB drive instead...

Joe,

OK, I used it for Vista and it's fine and assumed it's the same for XP. Sorry.

Use this guide. It says its for Asus eeepc but i've used the same method for several computers including my 2 desktops. I know it uses PeToUSB also but its the best method that has worked for me.
If you can't get the downloads to work PM me and i can email them to you. They seem to almost always eceed the limit for the downloads.

Joe,

OK, I used it for Vista and it's fine and assumed it's the same for XP. Sorry.

Actually, I think this may work... It booted fine, to a command prompt.

Now, I'm copying the files from the CD to the drive.

Hopefully it will execute the setup in a CMD window...

Nope...does not work...

Joe,

It makes the USB flash drive appear as a floppy boot.

Copies the HP files plus

io.sys
msdos.sys
command.com

to the USB flash as long as you have the boot sequence in your BIOS.

Now this looks promising.... I'm in the process in preparing the USB drive. Very simple and verbose tutorial.

So many people think they got it, but fail mid-way.

I will report back, but I think this is the winner...

Last edited:
Glad it worked, I used this method several times. You can load up an nlited xp as well but the one thing that you need to keep are the manual install files or else it will not see a valid XP source to load onto USB key.

hi guys....i m new here...
well can u guys help me out here....i realy need the password for komku....just to fix this eror 18....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back