• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 940 and Geforce 8800GT SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hitman13

I am trying to building a computer for gaming and I am having trouble finding a motherboard for

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor -

and

BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC Graphics adapter PCIe - 512 MB - GDDR3 SDRAM

I only have one 8800GT right now but in the future I will be buying two nvidia chips. Can someone please recommend a good AM2+ SLI ready X16 X16 Motherboard?

Is it worth getting another 8800GT and going SLI or is the 8800 outdated already?
Thanks for the help.

GREAT SITE!!!! I am impressed!!!

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

IMO, the 8800 is outdated but I can understand your situation. :)

The ASUS M3N-HT, ASUS Crosshair II, and MSI K9N2 Diamond all support Phenom II and double x16 SLI. There are probably others, I just took a quick look at Newegg to see what they had. No idea how well these boards OC. The AMD chipset versions OC very well but don't support SLI, just CrossFire.

A quick look at ORB showed your 8800GT is scoring 13-14k in 3DMark06 with a Phenom. A $100 ATI (3850) is scoring around 20k. With great OC'ing AMD chipset boards running $105 (Foxconn A79A-S) you might be ahead changing video cards and selling your existing one to take up some of the slack ... ;)

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

IMO, the 8800 is outdated but I can understand your situation. :)

The ASUS M3N-HT, ASUS Crosshair II, and MSI K9N2 Diamond all support Phenom II and double x16 SLI. There are probably others, I just took a quick look at Newegg to see what they had. No idea how well these boards OC. The AMD chipset versions OC very well but don't support SLI, just CrossFire.

A quick look at ORB showed your 8800GT is scoring 13-14k in 3DMark06 with a Phenom. A $100 ATI (3850) is scoring around 20k. With great OC'ing AMD chipset boards running $105 (Foxconn A79A-S) you might be ahead changing video cards and selling your existing one to take up some of the slack ... ;)

13-14K?:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head
So what you are saying is that I have another doorstop to add to my collection.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out those boards and see which one best works for what I want to do. I think I might just do the 8800gt SLI till I get enough cash to get 2 high end cards.
Is the Phenom II 940 a good option right now or am I painting myself into a corner?

Personally I'd wait a few more months and save some cash. The AM3 boards are already hitting the shelves (though they're not as good as the current AM2+ boards, IMO) and AM3 chips are due out May/June last I heard. A prudent shopper can usually get some good deals with a platform change. If you upgrade often then buy (what will be) a cheap AM2+ system. If you upgrade every 3-4 years then go for an AM3 system.

What are you running right now? Recommendations may change depending on your current hardware ... ;)

Back