Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Have some questions about Military

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 02-06-09, 07:51 AM   #41
SteveLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullam3n View Post
I would speak to an actual recruiter. They are desperate for people anyway, they have a waiver for everything. Especially the US Army I would imagine.

And the other guys are right, the Marines go to where the fight is. That's what they do. Sure they have helicopters and airplanes, so does the Army, and the Navy, but a lot of them actually get transported by USAF planes and helicopters. Especially if they are going on leave or deploying/redeploying from a base, as Marines have a priority over all other personnel.

I'm going to be testing for Staff this summer, can't wait I just now got recognized for my work in Afghan last week. Got me an achievement metal from the AFCENTCOM commander. Gives me 1pt in testing I know in the guard they tend to just give out rank One of the coins I have, we made in the desert, it says on the back "If you were Guard, you'd be home by now!"
You sure you know what you're talking about?

-Military has been exceeding their recruiting and retention. Specifically, the Army branches. They've been asked to slow down because of the unexpected numbers they've been getting over the past several months.

-Waivers do not exist for everything. And they are NOT easy to get at all. ESPECIALLY those related to unlawfulness and medical.

-The Guard uses the same promotional standards big Army does. Promotion varies upon MOS, points and slot availability. It is not handed out by any means.

-Guardsmen make up the majority of the the Army branch. And its quite common for units to have been deployed for 12-18 months more than once...just like everyone else. That's on top of stateside missions. Let's not give the impression that their deployments are short...because I promise you they are not.

Old 02-06-09, 08:42 AM   #42
cullam3n

10 Year Badge

I'm just speaking from personal experience, not meant to cause harm. When I was being recruited with others, the recruiter was quick to pass things underneath the carpet, especially the local Navy recruiter. I didn't mean they had a waiver for everything literally, I just wanted to imply that it does not hurt to go and ask. You won't know unless you try.

And I was speaking about USAF guard and not Army Guard. My Army counterpart for my deployment (a Reserve Unit) was on a 15month deployment (cut down to 12months) although they are granted R&R and sometimes Exodus, and us USAF are not (unless we volunteer for a 365 day extended deployment). My USAF Guard components were rotated in every 45 days. As active duty, I was there for over 120 days. And yes of course the requirements for promotion Guard and active duty are the same, but it is a common misguided view that they are not and I was just playing on that. Although I have seen some rather young guard E-6s that were younger than active duty who made E-5 the first time.

I didn't mean to cause an argument.

Travel - UX32VD-DH71 | i7 3517U | 10GB DDR3 1600 | GT 620M --Ultrabook life
13U Rack - Full of goodies...

HeatWare
cullam3n is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-06-09, 02:48 PM   #43
TommyHolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempliNocturnus View Post
BTW, are you a pilot in the guard?
I work in a CAOC now at the Operational level.

As for a few other comments here:
- Recruiters are dishonest? OK that common rumor has to stop. I have never met one that lied to get people to join up yet. If you have first-hand experience with any recruiter please let me know and I will make sure they no longer have a job. I don't wanna hear "my buddy this" or "it happened to my cousin I swear..." You can contact me privately with both the recruiter's name, rank, and duty location as well as your information if you are serious, otherwise I don't wanna hear this crap being repeated.

- Every different job, (AFSC or MOS) has different operational deployment tempos. Some people go for longer periods of time then others.

- It's true some guys in the Guard get promoted faster then the Active Duty. The Guard has a open slot system. It can work for you if you have good timing and people leave or retire that are higher then you. It more often works against you... I have seen 20 year Staff Sgts!! I have also seen people on Active Duty that test really well and make E-9 in thier late 30's!!

- Because of the current economic situation, people are flocking in droves to sign up. Pretty soon they will cut most bonuses... (What exactly is a 'drove' anyway??)

Old 02-06-09, 04:32 PM   #44
shard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHolly View Post
- Because of the current economic situation, people are flocking in droves to sign up. Pretty soon they will cut most bonuses... (What exactly is a 'drove' anyway??)
I think it is a hangover term from the 16-17th century meaning roughly many people going to the market, or going to the market with their livestock. Since then the term has been hacked to no end meaning roughly the same thing. Many people going or doing the same thing.

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
EVGA 670 GTX | Asus VE248H 24" Widescreen LCD
Corsair 750TX 750w PSU
shard is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-06-09, 09:53 PM   #45
TempliNocturnus

Quote:
I'm just speaking from personal experience, not meant to cause harm. When I was being recruited with others, the recruiter was quick to pass things underneath the carpet, especially the local Navy recruiter. I didn't mean they had a waiver for everything literally, I just wanted to imply that it does not hurt to go and ask. You won't know unless you try.

And I was speaking about USAF guard and not Army Guard. My Army counterpart for my deployment (a Reserve Unit) was on a 15month deployment (cut down to 12months) although they are granted R&R and sometimes Exodus, and us USAF are not (unless we volunteer for a 365 day extended deployment). My USAF Guard components were rotated in every 45 days. As active duty, I was there for over 120 days. And yes of course the requirements for promotion Guard and active duty are the same, but it is a common misguided view that they are not and I was just playing on that. Although I have seen some rather young guard E-6s that were younger than active duty who made E-5 the first time.

I didn't mean to cause an argument.
Our deployments are just as long as AD. The only thing is, we have a much higher priority in returning home. If a guardsman orders expire while in country, he then becomes a mercenary and is no longer protected under the Geneva Convention (so I hear). Two people, of the same AFSC and skill level, can fill the same slot on an AEF; the days would be split between the two. Other than that, our AEF cycles are the same as yours.

With promotions, sure, we don't use WAPS, but we are all locked into a slot for a certain grade. You cannot move from staff to tech, unless you're in a tech slot. We don't really have airman slots, so everyone is pretty much able to achieve staff. We still have the same TIS/TIG and PME requirements.
TempliNocturnus is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-06-09, 10:09 PM   #46
Enablingwolf
Senior Member overclocking at the speed of plaid

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempliNocturnus View Post
he then becomes a mercenary and is no longer protected under the Geneva Convention (so I hear).
Orders do not stop until you report to stand down and are released from orders. Otherwise what about POW's who's orders expire? Or MIA? What if they are in the field and in a firefight and cannot be rotated out...
If you still have to muster, your in service. It can be extended in the field. Otherwise they have to find their own way back in a war zone...

They are still servicemen until they muster and are released from them orders. The extension has to be justified.

No one ever expects Aloysius Snuffleupagus

Enablingwolf is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-06-09, 10:45 PM   #47
Neuromancer

Quote:
I'm now just over a month of being E-4 (where the USAF is the only branch that does not have an NCO position on an E-4 grade) and because now we are at critical manning I'm back to getting more responsibilities that a normal E-4 should be getting.
Did not read all of your post.. but unless things changedin the last couple of years, no one has an e-4 NCo Army and marines start at e-5, not sure about AF, but navy does not start till E-7.

Basically if you cant wear khaki you are not an Officer.

(they do call us petty officers at e-4, but really does not mean anything)

The Navy was very laid back, and alot like you described in your post. If you are willing to do the job, you get the job. I was rountinely handling E-6 duties when I hit E-4. Was divisional training officer, Divisional ISSO, on top of all the standard duties, and being in a rate that had pretty easy advancement up to E-5... still had to swab the deck on duty days..

Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-06-09, 11:39 PM   #48
SteveLord

E4 Corporal for Army is an NCO (crappy rank to have, especially long term)

It is also an NCO in the marines, but has a lot more respect in comparison to the army corporal.

Old 02-07-09, 09:33 PM   #49
TempliNocturnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enablingwolf View Post
Orders do not stop until you report to stand down and are released from orders. Otherwise what about POW's who's orders expire? Or MIA? What if they are in the field and in a firefight and cannot be rotated out...
If you still have to muster, your in service. It can be extended in the field. Otherwise they have to find their own way back in a war zone...

They are still servicemen until they muster and are released from them orders. The extension has to be justified.
That may be true for active duty, but not for the guard. Sure, it's possible that orders can be extended in the field, but if they expire, and are not extended, a guardsman is no longer part of the 'active' military, thus no longer afforded the rights under the Geneva Conventions or LOAC. A guardsman must be under Title 10 Status in order to legally be used to participate in a war on someone else's soil. If a guardsman is delayed from leaving the country, and is forced to remain there after his orders expire, he is rushed to the nearest US embassy (this has happened, from what I've been told by our units logistics person).

A captured guardsman is placed in POW status, and thus becomes a noncombatant under the GC, until he is able to rejoin friendly forces. I would assume that then he would be rushed to the nearest embassy and/or evacuated out of country, upon rescue/release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0mancer View Post
Did not read all of your post.. but unless things changedin the last couple of years, no one has an e-4 NCo Army and marines start at e-5, not sure about AF, but navy does not start till E-7.

Basically if you cant wear khaki you are not an Officer.

(they do call us petty officers at e-4, but really does not mean anything)
Hmm, from what I've heard, all that is totally wrong. I've spoken to several Marines, who've told me that E-4 is an NCO in the Marine Corps. I've also been told that E-4 is an NCO in the Navy, as well. I could hardly imagine a branch of the military beginning its NCO tier at E7; it takes 15 or so years to become an E7! For us in the Air Force, E5 & 6 are junior NCO's, while E7-9 are senior NCO's.
TempliNocturnus is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-09, 09:18 AM   #50
cullam3n

10 Year Badge

So acompdude, any update?

HeatWare
Old 02-08-09, 09:45 AM   #51
LoneWolf121188

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHolly View Post
- Recruiters are dishonest? OK that common rumor has to stop. I have never met one that lied to get people to join up yet. If you have first-hand experience with any recruiter please let me know and I will make sure they no longer have a job. I don't wanna hear "my buddy this" or "it happened to my cousin I swear..." You can contact me privately with both the recruiter's name, rank, and duty location as well as your information if you are serious, otherwise I don't wanna hear this crap being repeated.
It's not that they lie, I think it's more that they don't know how certain things really work. I see this all the time, and I'm not even on AD yet. My NCO's have a tendency to just recite memos or AFIs published by HQ like 10 years ago, when that's no longer how it works or there's something that supersedes it. I'll give you an example: HQ said last summer that AFROTC cadets could not wear ABUs at Field Training this summer. So our Det ended up getting a ton of ABUs in, but they didn't issue them to anyone, so they were just sitting in the basement taking up space. Well, the Field Training Manual came out in the beginning of December and it clearly said that either ABUs or BDUs would be allowed. Since the FTM is written by the people who organize Field Training while the memo from HQ was written by people who don't really care what the cadets wear, I'm going to go ahead and guess that the FTM supercedes the memo. The best part is that no one ever bothered to inform the Dets that the FTM was published until a box of them showed up at the office a few days ago. So while I've had the FTM since the beginning of December, the NCOs have no idea what's going on.

mATX Desktop (Build Log Here): Core i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 1.3V, Maximus VI Gene, 16GB DDR3-1600 RipjawX, EVGA GTX780, Intel 520 240GB, Seagate 2TB, EK CPU and GPU waterblocks, MCP35X, 120.1 and 180.1 radiators.
Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

The Hardware Destruction Thread|OCForums Musicians Club Member -12|OCForums Metal Club Member -12

Well, if he opens the box and its dead, then it would be his fault because the state of the cat is determined by the observer. Then we could be all ‘n00b, you collapsed the wavefunction now! - RoadWarrior, on Schrödinger’s Cat
LoneWolf121188 is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-09, 12:29 PM Thread Starter   #52
acompdude

Quote:
So acompdude, any update?
Why thanks for asking. Lol. Not really that much of an update. The Colonel and I are giving up on the recruiter he wanted me to talk to and Colonel is going to put me in touch with the one out of Tallahassee. Hopefully I will hear something from him Monday and can get an appointment asap. I really don't want to rush things but I have to make up my mind and get something signed by the 18th saying that I am going into the military.

Gunny(the marine recruiter) is setting me up to take a practice ASVAB as soon as he can so that we can get some better ideas of jobs that I will be able to get. Right now I am down to which one can give me a better/more enjoyable job and of course pay does matter a little. I also want to see what kind of bonuses I can get. Anyway I will keep you guys updated. I hope to get something figured out soon. I need some peace of mind.

Macbook Pro (Late 2008) 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 8 gigs DDR3 OSX, XP(BootCamp/VMware), Windows 7(VMware) and Ubuntu(VMware)

HEATWARE
acompdude is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-10-09, 06:22 PM   #53
cullam3n

10 Year Badge

Ok man, do good on the ASVAB

HeatWare
Old 02-18-09, 11:36 AM Thread Starter   #54
acompdude

Well sorry for the long break in communication but I have been waiting to see how my situation works out in court. I went to court today and now I have to take a defensive driving course and go back to court on the 18th of next month. So once again its a waiting game. I am really getting frustrated with the whole thing.

On another note I did make up my mind and I am going Air Force. My family is supporting me in my decision which makes my life so much easier.

Lets all hope my next court appearance goes over well and all this stupid crap is put to rest and I can go on into the Air Force with as little on my record as possible.

Macbook Pro (Late 2008) 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 8 gigs DDR3 OSX, XP(BootCamp/VMware), Windows 7(VMware) and Ubuntu(VMware)

HEATWARE
acompdude is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-18-09, 05:10 PM   #55
SteveLord

I just heard about some new changes coming down. I am sure they will apply to all branches. The Student Loan Repayment is being increased. If you don't ship on or before your original date, you lose half your bonus. If you don't ship to boot camp within 365 days, you lose all bonus. You can also lose it if you join at 17 and do not graduate HS with a diploma.

Plus more.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.