• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hooking up Cable Box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodoe

I know this a computer forum but, I do not now of any tv forums. Need a diagram how to hook-up cable box to surround sound. I am using s-video for video and optical cable for sound.

Run the S-video outout of the cable box to the s-video input on the AVR and run the optical output from the cable box to the optical input of the AVR. If say the s-video on your AVR is labled DVD use your remote to change your AVR over to DVD. You may have to tell your AVR to use the optical for audio. Also what AVR are you running?

If your AVR has inputs kinda like this one just hook up the video and audio on the same i.e cbl/sat or dvd.

Last edited:
I am using a onkyo receiver, I am running a s-video from cable box to tv and getting video. But cannot get audio out of the optical cable.

Do you have the optical cable going to from the cable box to the Onkyo? Do you have the Onkyo set to the right device, meaning you do have it set to dvd when the optical is plugged in to vcr?

Back