• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which too get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fast96se

Allright right now Im running 2 crossfired 4850's 512mb cards.

Ill eventually upgrade to 4870, i just need some advice.

One of my friends says 2 1 gig cards is overkill, so should i stick with 2 512mb 4870's or will having 2 1gig do anything for me?

A little more info is required... state your rig specs and what resloution you run at.
Are you having issues with 2x 4850's? Thats still a pretty hefty setup.

This is ocforums.com man... no such thing as overkill!

In all seriousness though the price difference on the 1 gb isnt too big, but unless you are going to run some seriously high resolutions it probably doesnt make sense to go 2 x 1gb.

1Gig is required in some games to max out the settings. 512 is a dying bread especially at 1920x1200 if u run that res. If lower at 1680x1050 you might be able to squeeze by with 512 for a while but really basically 750Meg + is where its at between nVidia and ATI cards.

Unless you very specifically know what you are doing and why you need Crossfire (btw, I'm curious what makes people go for it because it seems to me a single card of a higher grade is always better), get a single card of a higher grade. And if you want two cards, get an X2 card. At least both cards run off the same 2.0 PCIE-16 slot and you don't have a bridge. For the cash saved, get yourself an aftermarket cooler of a size that isn't possible with Crossfire configs.

Considering the fact that there's barely a cost difference between the 512MB and 1GB version, I'd buy two 1GB versions - more future proof.
I agree that your current setup is no slouch - you sure you need an upgrade?

your current setup is probably good for another year honestly.. Unless you really like high res and eye candy.

Well who doesn't like high res? :) I think mine will last at least til the new cards come out easily, but after that it will be a ? since I don't know what games are coming to the PC really later this year that would require lots of power.

Back