• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.SKILL 64GB SSD - HD Tach Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tech9

Not bad for being $119 free shipping @ the egg.

This is on IX38 chipset, with write cache enabled (didn't make a difference on or off)

Do you run it over ahci or ide mode.

I order one of these drives for my notebook.

ahci mode of course, but if you do all the SSD tweaks for vista its screaming fast with no stuttering. Only problem that i've seen is that when copying files to it, it has some weird lag, as any not ssd HD actually would, just more noticeable. Nothing like the jmicron stutter though.

I have the same HDD. Here are my results on my P5Q-Pro in Win7 w/ IDE mode.

SSD.jpg

I don't know what I am looking at. Is that good? I was thinking about gettig one for a Windows OS.

The results look fine but aren't enough info to really give a good idea of how the drive performs in daily duties or how it enhances the user experience.

The main potential problem with the drive is that it uses the jmicron 602B controller which has so little cache that there are times when stutter is possible by doing regular things you are used to doing with a mechanical HDD that wouldn't cause those irritating stutters/pauses.

The results look fine but aren't enough info to really give a good idea of how the drive performs in daily duties or how it enhances the user experience.

The main potential problem with the drive is that it uses the jmicron 602B controller which has so little cache that there are times when stutter is possible by doing regular things you are used to doing with a mechanical HDD that wouldn't cause those irritating stutters/pauses.
+1for that:beer:

Ive found the HD to speed things up. Kind of like going from dial-up to cable internet is the best relation I can give (sad I know).

Everything is much snappier so to speak. The more I use it, the more I enjoy it. It didnt seem like much at first, but Ill say, having no more performance issues in L4D sure makes me love it!

only SSD to support AHCI mode is from intel.. you could be hurting performance a bit in AHCI mode, i run IDE on my OCZ 30gig drive... ditch HD tach for ssd's it is suited for mechincal drives, as it takes into account of their short falls. IMO ATTO only for SSD's, did you also make sure the partion was aligned by vista?

just for a slight comparsion
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/atto/ATTONvsOIO.jpg

Aligned how?

I found AHCI mode works way better then IDE mode on this motherboard, the other drives (mech) slow down dramatically. I use them for program files, so I need them still.

Bootup time has greatly decreased from even a raptor setup.

With no prefetch, etc, vista boots up almost instantly. I have to agree win7 handled the drive even better.

Photoshop is lightning fast, as well as map loads for TF2 / L4D / BF2. ITs well worth it, maybe 2 raided would boost the performance as well as bump up the space.

It should be noted that HD tach results are in no way optimized for an SSD, they are for mechanical hard drives. Take the results with a grain of salt until real SSD benches are out.

there's a thread somewhere about the place that showed HDTach and HDtune producing very different results depending on the ssd and raid controller while ATTO was producing the same results consistently.
I'm sure evil will chip in soon with more information on the matter.

Yeah, I understand ATTO does more at one time, but it produces the same results as HDTach, atleast for ALL the tests that I have run on the SSD.

Everything is comparable (within 1-2 mb always). I did see a difference between HDTach/ATTO and HDTune though.

Aligned how?

I found AHCI mode works way better then IDE mode on this motherboard, the other drives (mech) slow down dramatically. I use them for program files, so I need them still.

Bootup time has greatly decreased from even a raptor setup.

With no prefetch, etc, vista boots up almost instantly. I have to agree win7 handled the drive even better.

Photoshop is lightning fast, as well as map loads for TF2 / L4D / BF2. ITs well worth it, maybe 2 raided would boost the performance as well as bump up the space.

while this thread here is ment for XP 32/64 bit. follow the instructions for checking how the partition was aligned.

It should be noted that HD tach results are in no way optimized for an SSD, they are for mechanical hard drives. Take the results with a grain of salt until real SSD benches are out.

Why do you say ATTO only for SSD's? I ran it and saw no difference than HDTach. Produces the same results.

there's a thread somewhere about the place that showed HDTach and HDtune producing very different results depending on the ssd and raid controller while ATTO was producing the same results consistently.
I'm sure evil will chip in soon with more information on the matter.

ATTO gives you sequential read/write speeds as well but also uses tests using blocks of differing sizes.

As KN pointed out, i feel ATTO for SSD's is more true for numbers. i know about the review/test that DavidJa is takling about but i havent been able to find it agian. there are some notes on HD tach,HD tune from Ryder at OCZ about them. as for the reasons already pointed out they are tune/tweaked for the short comings of mechincal drives the SSD's do not have. which is why you see a small or large saw tooth pattern for reads. finally found the thread from Ryder at OCZhere. im going to see if i can find that review that DavidJa is talking about.

*edit*
ok found the review...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=270&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=0
Benchmarkreviews said:
In this article, Benchmark Reviews sets out to detail the performance differences between SSD products attached to the JMicron JMB322 host-based controller and the Intel ICH10R, but instead discovered a larger problem. While read and write performance can sway unpredictably between SATA controllers, the most disturbing subject is the inconsistency between test tools. One version of ATTO Disk Benchmark can record result different from another, while HD-Tach gives different results on the same version and driver. Please read more to learn of the pitfalls and perils when testing SSD's between platforms.

Please join me as I confess my frustrations in detail, and educate you on my test miseries before you are forced to experience them yourselves.

Back