• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Intel Fiasco

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlitzPuppet

Finally decided to go to intel since my AMD rig bit the dust.

Went to fry's and dnded up first getting a Q8200 and an Asus P5Q ultimate, the board ended up being defective, wouldn't install windows without a error so I ended up getting an EVGA 780i SLI FTW after swapping out the CPU with a OEM version to see if that was the prob.

That fixed the install issue and I was still getting lockups and my CPU was running hot (around 51 idle STOCK....no matter how many reseats). Well last night I was talkin on AIM when all of a sudden my pc shut itself off, but kept the fans on. I cleared CMOS and got into windows...but every time I restarted it would fail at init CPU. So I cleared again and got into windows to notice I only had one core. I had initially swapped out the mobo because I thought that was the problem, but when I saw the one core I knew what my problem was :bang head .

All they had left of the Q8200s were all manufacturer rebrands and open boxes (had too many bad experiences with them, this being one), so for $30 more I stepped up to a brand new Q9400.

Basically for comparison I was running at 55*C idle, now I am running with a Q9400 at 17*C. Don't know what was up with that old CPU but something wasn't right at all.

On the old defunct one vista took forever to load, I thought that was just vista but nope, my cpu yet again was crappin out and since it was my first C2D I couldn't compare it to anything else.

All in all I wish I would have upgraded sooner, I am lovin this thing on Vista 64 bit!

Are you going to be running dual-nVidia cards? If not, an Intel chipset would clock a 45nm quad a bit better.

Sorry to hear about all the problems you had, but it sounds like you ended up with a very nice setup. Have you tried overclocking it yet? I have the Q9300 running at 3.6GHz on a P5Q Pro mobo, and I love it. Fastest computer I've ever owned.

Sorry to hear about all the problems you had, but it sounds like you ended up with a very nice setup. Have you tried overclocking it yet? I have the Q9300 running at 3.6GHz on a P5Q Pro mobo, and I love it. Fastest computer I've ever owned.

Going to try it out stock before I overclock, but I have high expectations :)

Back