Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Vendor Discussion
Vendor Discussion Likes and Gripes about Vendors. No Post Count.
Forum Jump

XFX does not honor warranty

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 12:08 PM Thread Starter   #1
shadowdr

10 Year Badge

XFX does not honor warranty

I bought a 7600GT XXX in January 07. Good card for the 150 price delivered, registered with XFX, really just to keep a check on bios updates. Well there never were any, so I forgot about the website until last month when my card started acting up. Could no longer play BF with high settings, screen corrupted into weird colors and had big spots that just blacked out. Last week the fan died, had probably been going out for a while but I had no way to know for sure.I could no longer even use the computer so I removed and replaced the heat sink and fan. I would not normally do this but I needed to contact XFX. go to their website and I can log in but it does not show my card anymore but it does show an XFX rumble headset that is not mine. So I start a ticket with them,

Quote:
[ 2/2/2009 6:50:26 PM] I registered my video card when I purchased it, it is going bad. You only show my products as a ga-ch01-so 100ng, which I don`t have. I have a 7600gt sn# hwh xxxxxx

[BRIAN 2/2/2009 7:05:24 PM] Hi jeff, thanks for the message. Please email a copy of the receipt to:bcxfx123@xfxforce.com with the ticket number as the subject. We will need to verify that the card is still under warranty. What is going on with the 7600GT? Keep us posted. Thanks, Brian.

[BRIAN 2/2/2009 10:16:24 PM] Hi Jeff, I got the email and unfortunately, it looks like the card is out of warranty. The product you registered was registered on 9/6/08 which is over the initial 30 days of purchase. You would have a 2 year warranty on the card that would have ended on 1/18/09. We will not be able to warranty the card at this time. Thanks, Brian.

[ 2/2/2009 11:08:34 PM] So much for the Lifetime warranty located on this page http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=P450-7870. This is not a vibration headset and it most certainly was registered within the first 30 days.
I am not sure what is with the timestamps but this was all done within one hour, before 5.00 pm.

In the Email that I sent, I attached the invoice from Tiger direct and explained that I had replaced the heatsink in order to use the card, but this did not seem important to them. I went and found the original box and sure enough the part and serial number had been written on the box by me, why? Only reason for this is to register the card, which I remember doing anyway.It is probably a glitch in their system but I don't care.

I actually found the problem on their website, just to see what happened I went back and tried to re-register the card. Again it added another rumble headset to my list of products. Only reason I can see for this is that they deleted the product number from their database along with my original registration.

Be aware that if you pay more for a card because of the warranty, it may not be honored. Be very wary of dealing with them, I have certainly bought my last XFX product. I ordered another cheap card from NewEgg and am done with XFX.

2x 128 Crucial M4 SSD for OS and one for Programs
2x 640 WD Blacks for storage
Rosewill Blackhawk case and Antec 750 New PS
Corsair H100I cooling
XFX 290
JVC 32 inch LCD TV
Windows 7 Pro X64

Heat
shadowdr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 12:12 PM   #2
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

That bites, I assume they didn't respond yet?

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 12:18 PM Thread Starter   #3
shadowdr

10 Year Badge

No they havent, the first two responses were only a few minutes apart. I guess I am on their ignore list now. I did add another response that I would be posting this here.

Corsair H100I cooling
XFX 290
JVC 32 inch LCD TV
Windows 7 Pro X64

Heat
Old 02-03-09, 12:31 PM   #4
aja

Location: SOUTH AFRICA, and yes, we do have electricity, and no, lions dont walk around in our streets

Thanks for the heads up. I always assume warranty means nothing when deciding on a purchase. A gigabyte graphics card (AGP) died years ago when a resistor burnt out. The warranty was void due to supposed "power surge damage". Nothing else in the PC was damaged, but the warranty was void. Pile o' poop.

Since then I normally dont even bother returning the product if broken...
aja is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 12:36 PM   #5
WonderingSoul
Team 32 Folding Member

eVGA is the only company I have found that will fix dead cards. Almost all other companies will try to get out of RMAs at all costs.

Heatware
WonderingSoul is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 01:46 PM   #6
CGR

10 Year Badge

Have you tried to call them?

HIS 4850 680/1108.................................................. .............Nvidia 7600GT
WD VRaptor 300gb/Seagate 1TB..........................................Raptor 74gb/Seagate 200gb
OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

CGR is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 02:07 PM   #7
mattspalace
I been Dolk'ed Senior

XFX seems to be going downhill as of late.. Keeping this in mind for future purchases for sure.

SSD: 2 X 120GB Kingston Hyper-X 3K in RAID-0
CPU: Intel i7 3770K @ 4.2GHz - 1.18V
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
Video Card: EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition
PSU: Corsair AX-750
Monitor: Dell U2410
mattspalace is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 02:14 PM   #8
CGR

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattspalace View Post
XFX seems to be going downhill as of late.. Keeping this in mind for future purchases for sure.
Not really a fair statement.

Just because a few people on the forums have had problems doesnt mean much. Also, more times than not, its the complainers fault partially or more that was the problem.

HIS 4850 680/1108.................................................. .............Nvidia 7600GT
WD VRaptor 300gb/Seagate 1TB..........................................Raptor 74gb/Seagate 200gb
OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

Old 02-03-09, 03:46 PM Thread Starter   #9
shadowdr

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR View Post
Not really a fair statement.

Just because a few people on the forums have had problems doesnt mean much. Also, more times than not, its the complainers fault partially or more that was the problem.
Really, that is also not a fair statement. I did nothing to the card, it just started messing up. I had no way to monitor the fan speed nor should I have had to. "Lifetime Warranty" means just that and saying it was not registered is just an excuse and a lie. You did notice that he said that because of that it was under warranty untill january 18th, Two weeks ago.

No I have not called them and probably will not but will keep you updated if they ever reply. Funny I got almost instant responses yesterday and now nothing.

Corsair H100I cooling
XFX 290
JVC 32 inch LCD TV
Windows 7 Pro X64

Heat
Old 02-03-09, 03:49 PM   #10
CGR

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdr View Post
Really, that is also not a fair statement. I did nothing to the card, it just started messing up. I had no way to monitor the fan speed nor should I have had to. "Lifetime Warranty" means just that and saying it was not registered is just an excuse and a lie. You did notice that he said that because of that it was under warranty untill january 18th, Two weeks ago.

No I have not called them and probably will not but will keep you updated if they ever reply. Funny I got almost instant responses yesterday and now nothing.
This is one of the problems i have with people posting these grievances in the vendor section.. They dont even CALL to talk to a person before complaining.. That IMO is not TRYING hard though to get your problem solved..

OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

Old 02-03-09, 04:08 PM Thread Starter   #11
shadowdr

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR View Post
This is one of the problems i have with people posting these grievances in the vendor section.. They dont even CALL to talk to a person before complaining.. That IMO is not TRYING hard though to get your problem solved..
And why should I call? I really don't think that I could be civil over the phone after what has happened. Either they are researching the problem or they are ignoring it. I will be patient and await further response, I have no obligation to do more.

Corsair H100I cooling
XFX 290
JVC 32 inch LCD TV
Windows 7 Pro X64

Heat
Old 02-03-09, 04:21 PM   #12
TollhouseFrank
Senior Headphone Guru

the reason you should call is that the internet tech-support system is automated. unless you meet a specific set of criteria that says "send notice to internal customer support to look over this", then the auto-system is gonna keep puking on you because you are caught in it's loop of "If x, y, z, then deny" The humans can bypass the system thanks to magical powers known as 'supervisor override'.

TollhouseFrank is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 05:30 PM   #13
ChinStrap

the emails he got back werent automated though.

I personally have never had to deal with xfx, but i have with both eVGA and BFG.

both times, both eVGA and BFG bent-over backwords for me. for that, they will have my business forever.

** A few of us Benchmark. You Should join us **
ChinStrap is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 05:56 PM Thread Starter   #14
shadowdr

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinStrap View Post
the emails he got back werent automated though.

I personally have never had to deal with xfx, but i have with both eVGA and BFG.

both times, both eVGA and BFG bent-over backwords for me. for that, they will have my business forever.
That is correct, it was a person. I may call at a later date but I believe that their intent is much like an insurance claim, deny, deny and hope they go away. I do not see the difference in talking to someone and communicating through a support ticket as that is why they set it up that way.

All I want is what was agreed to at the time of purchase.

Corsair H100I cooling
XFX 290
JVC 32 inch LCD TV
Windows 7 Pro X64

Heat
Old 02-03-09, 06:49 PM   #15
ScottinIndy
Premium Member #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingSoul View Post
eVGA is the only company I have found that will fix dead cards. Almost all other companies will try to get out of RMAs at all costs.
BFG is also very good in regard to standing behind their products.

Phenom II 1045T, Gigabyte MA790XT,CM 212 EVO, Corsair Vengence 1600 2x4 gigs,EVGA SC GTX 660,Patriot Torqx 64 gig SSD,Seagate 320 Hd, Corsair 520HX,S.B Extreme Music, Antec 300 Illusion case. Windows 7 64bit HP 23" IPS Panel

ScottinIndy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 06:53 PM Thread Starter   #16
shadowdr

10 Year Badge

Following your opinion that I shold call them, I did. Guess what? After two calls where I was put on hold for over fifteen minutes and then sent to voice mail, my call was answered after only forty minutes and by guess who, Brian. After giving him my ticket number and him reviewing it for several minutes I was told that the manager was in a meeting but he would forward it to him when he could and they would get back to me, again by support ticket. I can hardly wait.

Corsair H100I cooling
XFX 290
JVC 32 inch LCD TV
Windows 7 Pro X64

Heat

Last edited by shadowdr; 02-03-09 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 07:53 PM   #17
Niku-Sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TollhouseFrank View Post
the reason you should call is that the internet tech-support system is automated. unless you meet a specific set of criteria that says "send notice to internal customer support to look over this", then the auto-system is gonna keep puking on you because you are caught in it's loop of "If x, y, z, then deny" The humans can bypass the system thanks to magical powers known as 'supervisor override'.
XFX's ticket system IS NOT an automated response system, the only thing automated is reciving notification that a ticket has been submitted.

i doubt the automated reponse knows how to say "sorry we forgot our" lame ass "propriotary power connector for the RMA card we sent you" when i RMAed my 7900GT and got a friggin 8600GT back.

i can only say good luck with them, i thought my deal wasnt fair but yours is pretty freakin bad.

16Gig G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-9-9-25 2T 667Mhz
MSI R7870 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC
Seagate 320Gig 7200.11
Seagate 1024Gig 7200.14
OCZ Stealth X Stream 600
LG LightScribe DVD Burner
Niku-Sama is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 08:31 PM   #18
Pandam00nium

I don't know some things seem weird out of this. I've actually gone through the XFX warranty procedures to get a new HSF for my 8800GT back when I had one. When creating a new ticket to contact them the item is listed on the registered products, and beside it has an option to create a ticket for that specific item. If it was listed as a vibration headset, and you told them it was a 7600GT wouldn't there be some confusion? Why would they offer you help on the 7600GT when the headset is listed?

Also, You said you registered it within the 30 days, and then since there were no bios updates you forgot about the site until a month ago. But XFX says that the item was registered on...

Quote:
[BRIAN 2/2/2009 10:16:24 PM] Hi Jeff, I got the email and unfortunately, it looks like the card is out of warranty. The product you registered was registered on 9/6/08 which is over the initial 30 days of purchase. You would have a 2 year warranty on the card that would have ended on 1/18/09. We will not be able to warranty the card at this time. Thanks, Brian.
That's a year and a half passed the purchase date. So something isn't adding up. If you registered past the 30 days then you pretty much screwed yourself. If you didn't, then I don't see how the card was supposedly registered on 9/6/08 when you said you never visited the site again until last month?

And no XFX's online ticket system isn't automated.

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
GPU: MSI 6950 1GB TwinFrozr III
SSD: OCZ Vertex Plus R2 120GB // HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
PSU: Corsair VX550

Heatware
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Pandam00nium is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-03-09, 08:55 PM   #19
madhatter256
Special Member ★

XFX is a bitch when it comes to warranties. Lifetime means 'oops, it is out of warranty', to them.

They are cheap, anyway, so I wouldn't buy one. EVGA, Gigabyte, or BFG are the only ones I'd recommend.

Old 02-03-09, 10:00 PM Thread Starter   #20
shadowdr

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan View Post
I don't know some things seem weird out of this. I've actually gone through the XFX warranty procedures to get a new HSF for my 8800GT back when I had one. When creating a new ticket to contact them the item is listed on the registered products, and beside it has an option to create a ticket for that specific item. If it was listed as a vibration headset, and you told them it was a 7600GT wouldn't there be some confusion? Why would they offer you help on the 7600GT when the headset is listed?

Also, You said you registered it within the 30 days, and then since there were no bios updates you forgot about the site until a month ago. But XFX says that the item was registered on...

That's a year and a half passed the purchase date. So something isn't adding up. If you registered past the 30 days then you pretty much screwed yourself. If you didn't, then I don't see how the card was supposedly registered on 9/6/08 when you said you never visited the site again until last month?

And no XFX's online ticket system isn't automated.
My product was deleted because the gaming headset now uses the same product number. The headset was added the last time I signed into the account because I was checking my product number for any bios updates that might be available. I noticed then that I could sign in but had no item available to check so by entering my product number it adds a headset.

Like I said before, I dug the original box out of the closet and written by hand on the box was my product number and serial. Why, because I could not register without them and when it is in the computer they cannot be seen. I rember doing it anyway and checking off and on for several months for bios updates when the card was listed.

I bought the card and still have a reciept, nothing else should even matter. I cannot help that they deleted the model number and reused it for another product.

Corsair H100I cooling
XFX 290
JVC 32 inch LCD TV
Windows 7 Pro X64

Heat

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Vendor Discussion
Vendor Discussion Likes and Gripes about Vendors. No Post Count.