• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need cooling suggest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

super2007

Well i have a friends rig who need to be cooled

rig =e8400, ocz 1066 ram, wd6400aaks hd, CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W, GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L.

his cpu is hitting around 60c intel stock cooler that is, what would be a good heatsink.

in my rig i have the Nirvana NV120 new bought, it works nice, but he wants something that can outperform that, with some good fans!

any suggest would do

something a little cheaper than that? i mean he wants max overclock possible, but anything cheaper than that that does perform little lower than ultra 120?

here is a chart. Will take some time to look up each product and its cost. But as you can see the ultra120 is up there at the top. I am not saying it is the best, but it is amazing for its cost. With high speed fans it is near H20 cooling at a fraction of the cost.

The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is a really good heatsink. The S963 is the 90mm version of it. And yes, the black knight is the same one but black. Make sure to buy the retention bracket with it, otherwise it is not worth it.

the xig works perfectly fine without the retention bracket... my idle temps are just above ambient and load temps don't go above 55... yes the retention bracket is a lot sturdier and you wont have to put up with the stupid intel push pins... but without it, the xig is still a very good HSF

the fan is worth it? like the fan that comse with the HDT-S1283? i was thinking to buy the xig white oragenish fan

The dark night includes the backplate but no pushpins. Probably a little cheaper then buying a regular S1283 and a backplate separately. I've got both types and they have equal performance.

^^so there is no point in buying the backplate? and will anohter cooler backplate work?

Back