• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4850 512MB Ram need advice on upgrade path.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would sell it for a HD4870x2 for a real upgrade, depends on your budget and what performance you want. This will play any game out now maxed out (maybe not crysis, but almost :) )

Bang for the buck get the second 4850 and cross-fire them. Im sure youll have plenty of VRAM to run your game at MAX settings. That is a fairly high res too. Im sure youll tax the resources of about any card made right now. Maybe sell that card and buy 2 4870's??

Z

alright i think i'm gonna go with the 2nd 4850 see it seems to be the most economical upgrade path of price vs performance. If i decide it's not enough i guess i can always sell the 2 and get something better. thanks guys for your input.

at that res, the 512MB limit is going to be a serious bottleneck with newer games, especially with 2 4850's in CF and if you want to use AA.

at that res, the 512MB limit is going to be a serious bottleneck with newer games, especially with 2 4850's in CF and if you want to use AA.

oh really? so maybe better to go with single 4870 1GB for now and when i feel i need more power get another to crossfire?

Yeh at 1920 x 1200 the extra vRAM is a very good idea... 4870 1Gb is a very good card and like you said you can crossfire it later... or add an x2 for tri-fire!!

Thanks guys i went for the 4870 1GB Ram from saphire. gotta like the look of the black reflective shield.

thanks. just trying to future proof a bit. can recoup some of the cost by selling the 4850 so not a bad trade off :)

Back