• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Push-Pull Ram Fan ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erratum

Registered
Anyone set up a push-pull wind tunnel for your RAM sticks ?

I have a 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator (3 X 2gb) installed withouth the RAM fan ... just the "high-rise" heat spreaders.

I'd like to cool my mem (all runs great & without issue, but I want it to continue that way) but I have a TRUE to install on my i7 920, once I lap it. I'll be installing this with a push-pull (2 X 120mm fans) which will leave about ... well .... nothing as far as space to attach some type of RAM fan on top of the RAM heat spreaders.

What I'm thinking about, is a setup like this ... (crappy pic below)

ramfan-pushpull.jpg

... Where the RAM will be enclosed in a wind tunnel from end to end, pull from the "bottom" end & exhaust at the top of the case (Antec 1200). I've not seen a setup like this done & I wonder if there's a reason for that ... lol ... like maybe it looks good on paper, but ....

Think this would be an efficient solve for cooling my RAM sticks across the length of the heat spreaders ??

Assuming this is a tripple channel kit, your RAM shouldn't be getting hot enough at stock voltage to even need extra cooling, but the fan that comes with the Dominators would have been more than sufficient to keep your RAM cool. Too bad you didn't buy it, and just exhaust your TRUE fans out the top.

In lieu of that, the 1200 should have sufficient enough airflow in the right position to allow air to move freely through the fins of the Dominator RAM. I mean we hope that we have decent enough airflow to move air through our chipset and MOSfet heatsinks, why not the RAM too?

I can't say that what you propose would be a bad idea, and in theory it would work, but a bit over the top and alot of extra work for something that would essentially be a "nice to Have"

Last edited:
The issue is with the height of the Dominators heat spreader & the girth of the TRUE ...... I don't envision even a bit of room for the standard "on-top" Dominator fan. Actually, I hem-hawd quite a bit about ordering the Dominator fan ... just don't think it's gunna fit.

Could be wrong.

Been wrong before. ;)

Assuming this is a tripple channel kit, your RAM shouldn't be getting hot enough at stock voltage to even need extra cooling, but the fan that comes with the Dominators would have been more than sufficient to keep your RAM cool. Too bad you didn't buy it, and just exhaust your TRUE fans out the top exhaust.

I can't say that what you propose would be a bad idea, and in theory it would work, but a bit over the top and alot of extra work for something that would essentially be a "nice to Have"

The ram in these pictures are Patriot EPs and not Dominators obviously. Point is, there is room for the Dominator RAM fan. I also had Patriot Vipers in the same rig, which have a similar profile to the Dominators. Still clearance both vertically and horizontally.

And b4 anyone goes there, I noticed no increase in CPU temp from "sucking hot air off the GFX PCB". Most, if not all of that air seemed to be swept right through to the rear exhaust by the upper intake.

The ram in these pictures are Patriot EPs and not Dominators obviously. Point is, there is room for the Dominator RAM fan. I also had Patriot Vipers in the same rig, which have a similar profile to the Dominators. Still clearance both vertically and horizontally.

And b4 anyone goes there, I noticed no increase in CPU temp from "sucking hot air off the GFX PCB". Most, if not all of that air seemed to be swept right through to the rear exhaust by the upper intake.

Well, alrighty then. I'll wait till I get the TRUE lapped & affixed to the mobo before I put the trouble into this.

Thanks brother ... You probably just saved me a little bit of toil n' trouble.

Back