• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD drive and multitaking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

So, i got a ssd drive for laptop and I am sort of new to this. Anyways, when I am doing several things at the same time, I am under impression than the hard drives is slower than regular drive. Now, benches show that it is twice as fast. Is that my perception or some extra settings are needed.

if you have a SSD with the jmicron controller then you're probably suffering from the stuttering problem that has plagued a lot of the mainstream SSDs out there
the read performance is great, but the write performance is what kills you

there's a lot of good information on the OCZ forums
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186

regardless if you have OCZ SSD or not, there are tweaks that you can apply that should help SSD performance

I'm pretty sure that has the JMicron. The only real solution to that is to use the SteadyState fix (see here) but your trade off will be a chunk of your already limited hard drive space (I used 10gb with my OCZ Core but you can use less), having to use a 32bit OS and much longer boot time. You might want to try the other tweaks first to see what kind of performance you get before you go down that route, but I can tell you that SteadyState will 100% get rid of stuttering while multitasking.

Partition alignment is important also, especially if you're using XP, and fixing that would require reinstalling Windows (see here).

Aside from those two, it's also important to do a bunch of tweaks to optimize the OS for a SSD. See XP here and Vista here. I typically do everything aside from the Ramdisk solution and changing the Windows performance setting.

Back