• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SI128 + Phenom II 940?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChillPhatCat

I just pulled the trigger on a PII 940... much to the chagrin of my bank account, and I've got this SI 128 laying around... I'm wondering if it's any better than the HSF that ships with the PII. Are these old AM2 coolers up to the challenge of today's quad cores? I was able to run my 4000+ at 1.5v with this thing and stay under 55 degrees. I know the PII HSF has copper heat pipes, but it's got fewer of pipes and a much smaller fan/fins. What do you guys think? I'm guessing it wouldn't be a big deal if I just put it on and compared idle temps.

TIA

Ahh thanks for the link, I found my heatsink just a few below the one you posted SI-128SE It scores a 22.0 instead of 21.7 like the 128 Extreme Edition you linked. Sounds like it should do better than stock.

Hoping for 3.6, but anything over 3.4 will still be sweet... I'm getting giddy waiting for it and my new case. I've got one of those backwards flowing Lian-Li short towers coming... haven't upgraded my case since the Athlon XP Thoroughbreds hit the market.

Back